Constantly Chasing Reflection

1. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

My betta Zach is constantly chasing his reflection across the front of his tank. He does stop and go in other parts of the tank, responds normally to activity outside the tank, and eats well. I'm just wondering if there is a way to reduce reflectivity of the glass. I turned off the aquarium light and it is still reflective. Is there a possibility of the tank being backwards (like the front is supposed to be the back).
    Zach doesn't flare as he chases himself, but it's so constant. He loves movement, so maybe he just likes watching the movements?

2. Reef Ventures

Reef Ventures Valued Member Member

I wouldn't be to worried about it unless you start to see signs of excess stress. My Koi betta does this all day long and it hasn't done him any harm. If anything his colours have improved as when a male see competition they can produce more colour pigment in their body.
    But if the reverse affect happens and he starts to lose colour let me know and I may be able to help you as this means he is getting stressed

3. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Thank you! His colors do brighten a bit sometimes when chasing his reflection. I just wasn't sure if it was good or not.

4. Reef Ventures

How big is his tank? If your worried about him you could get him some tank mates such as Ember Tetras or another small yet fast fish to keep him occupied so he's not always looking at his reflection.

5. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

He has a 5 gallon tank. Ive considered RCS and I am almost definitely getting a nerite

6. Reef Ventures

Judging by the fact that he chases his reflection all day I wouldn't recomend RCS as most bettas, even non aggressive ones will tend to chase and even eat shrimp. For a 5 gal I would recommend 8 Ember tetras, 6 Dwarf Cory Cats (Hasbrosis, Hastatas or Pygmaeus) He may also nip at the snails antenae. Mine use to do that to my mystery snail

7. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

I'd prefer he be the only fish in the tank.
    My other betta nipped at the one mystery snail's antenna but not the other snail. If I have issues with antenna nipping I have backup tanks for the snail.

8. Reef Ventures

sounds like a plan. I know you said no other fish but if you decide you want some, Ember tetras would be best IMO

9. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't do 8 ember tetras with a betta in a 5 gallon

10. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I had a Koi Betta who was the exact same way. Nothing I tried stopped him from chasing his reflection. He had snails and I tried placing plants along the glass, covering part of the tank, you name it, I tried it.
    It never hurt him one bit though. He was super healthy.
    If it does start to cause him issues I would suggest getting an acrylic tank. He never chased his reflection when he was in an acrylic tank. Just be careful cause they scratch super easy.

11. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

I'm not doing any other fish in with him.

12. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, I know:)

13. Ankers

Ankers Well Known Member Member

Try turning down the exterior lights I don't see why that would be a problem though

14. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

I've tried that.

15. Ankers

What size tank is your beta in

16. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

5 gallon, filtered, heater on the way. Picture of tank below. 56c62bd0d32ef6af4a42bf158afe63ac.jpg

17. Ankers

Neat I've been dying to get a beta but a need to find a good home for my two zebra danios first

18. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

You need more decor.

19. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

I know. :c
    I'm fourteen, money is a bit harder to obtain. That little Anubias nana petite just arrived yesterday. I have plans to get some IAL and clips to make a bed near the surface. Also thinking of maybe a java fern. Suggestions on what to get and placement?

20. Ankers

Do u have any other tanks