Constant Green Tint?

Laurenx19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was hoping someone could help me. I had an algea problem from what i believed was over feeding and too much light 13 hours. So i did a 4 day black out a while back seemed to work KIND of and reduced my lights to 8 hours a day and reduced amount of food.. This was weeks ago.My waters never been crystal clear it has a green tint to it light, after water change then back to green. Just the water, no algea on the glass but it's green when i gravel vacuum. I do a 30% water change a week. Its ugly but i know my fish are all very healthy.
A-0
N-0
N-5ppm. Ive had the tank up and running about 4 months now & no deaths/illness except for a swordtail which was bullied as soon as the tiger barbs were introduced so months ago.
Filter is an AC70

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've had issues with cloudy water before, but it was typically a bacterial bloom from over cleaning, which is white. Are you certain it doesn't just look green because of that huge green plant? I'm not sure what your cleaning routine is, but I would alter between gravel vac and filter cleaning every other week. A few drops of Accu Clear and a filter floss pad would have your water clear in no time. What size tank is that?

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are two ways to deal with bacterial and algal blooms. The first is to keep the water clean , not overfeed , feed plants well and be VERY patient ( it can take weeks ). The second is to buy a uv unit, these kill water Bourne algae and bacteria, with one of these you will have crystal clear water in days. If you search online you can pick one up quite cheaply.

Laurenx19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes im sure lol it gets green. Every week i clean the glass with a long sponge, i rinse off the few things i have in there in aquarium water & gravel vacuum. I haven't touched the filter yet bc i just put it in there a week ago hoping maybe my old filter was the issue not pumping enough per hour. Its a 38 gallon with 9 tiger barbs, 6 flame tetras and 1 small bristlenose pleco. Im planning on finding a new home for the 6 flame tetras.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
a UV sterilizer is the way to go. i have a 150g stock tank out on an East facing back porch with direct sunlight during the morning. it was green, after a week of using my UV its been clear for months.

water changes and filter floss will remove most of the algae in the water, but the little bit that remains will just grow and keep multiplying. the UV will kill it all.

Laurenx19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thankyou all. My local store price matches so i called & had them put 1 up for me until tomm morning. I don't mind water changes but i can never get ahead of it & within 3 days its back green. So im going to do a 50% water change tommorow and install it after. Do i keep it running after the water clears? 24/7? Just incase. Wish me luck lol.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you just need to run it for about 5-7 days. once the water clears you should be good for a long time. i used mine back in April for a week and its been clear ever since, even in direct sunlight.

Zachsnanotanks

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could help me. I had an algea problem from what i believed was over feeding and too much light 13 hours. So i did a 4 day black out a while back seemed to work KIND of and reduced my lights to 8 hours a day and reduced amount of food.. This was weeks ago.My waters never been crystal clear it has a green tint to it light, after water change then back to green. Just the water, no algea on the glass but it's green when i gravel vacuum. I do a 30% water change a week. Its ugly but i know my fish are all very healthy.
A-0
N-0
N-5ppm. Ive had the tank up and running about 4 months now & no deaths/illness except for a swordtail which was bullied as soon as the tiger barbs were introduced so months ago.
Filter is an AC70

Ive had algea issues b4 and all I did was cute the time I had my lights in and it slowly went away along with regular cleaning

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom