Constant Dropping Ph Slowing My Almost-complete Cycle :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Patrick474, May 28, 2019.

1. Patrick474

Patrick474New MemberMember

I’m so close to finishing my fishless cycle, but my ph has been dropping the last couple weeks near 6.4-6.6. I was adding ph up supplement here and there to try to raise it but It wasn’t very successful as it would drop back after a day. A Heres the timeline of how long each cycle has taken.

1st cycle: 8 days
    2nd: 6 days
    3rd: 3 days
    4th: 32 hours
    5th: 25 hours
    6th: ——v
    I was almost certain I would be able to add fish today. But it’s been 24 hours and the ammonia is still at 0.5 from 2ppm originally. I checked my ph and it dropped all the way from 6.8 last night(for some reason was a little higher this day) to 6.2 today. I assume that’s why the last 0.5 didn’t go through. My tap water after 24 hours has ph 7.1. Do I need to do a water change or something? Will that restart my cycle? I also just added crushed coral today in the filter to try and maintain a slightly higher ph, let me know if that was a good idea.

I would just like your advice on how I should deal with the ph. Getting so frustrated cuz I know I’m close to adding fish but this ph drop is stopping me!

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Do you happen to know your kh? That what stabilizes your ph.

3. OP
    OP
    Patrick474

Patrick474New MemberMember

I only got a kh test kit yesterday as it didn’t come in the Api master FW kit I have. Like I said my ph was little higher yesterday than usual (6.8) but I remember the kh was around 50-60. Just tested my tap waters kh and it’s about the same.

Not sure how accurate testing it right now would be as I added the crushed coral an hour ago and added some “ph up” just for a little boost. Didn’t want my bacteria to die.

4. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Testing your tap rules out changes from the crushed coral and ph up. I usually see it referenced as drops so I had to find mine. That's what 3-4 drops. That's low but should hold a ph. The crushed coral sounds like it does help. My understanding of it is that the acid in water leaches out the minerals and one your ph goes up and isn't so acidic the leaching process slows.

5. wintermute

wintermuteValued MemberMember

I used to battle dropping ph all the time, it was a constant source of stress. After adding a cup of crushed coral to my filter that problem completely vanished. I can't remember how long it took to take effect (it was probably 4 or 5 years ago now) but the result was a stable ph at around 7.5 (which is what my tap water ph is), hopefully it won't be too long before you start to see the benefits! :)

I would agree with the idea that the acids slowly dissolve the coral, as mine has slowly dissapeared over the years, and I will probably soon need to add some more.

Tony.