Constant 'dirt' In Walstad Tank/planted

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Sir_Butters, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Sir_Butters

Sir_ButtersNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey guys hope i can get some help here.

Tank is in shambles. Constantly fighting green water and dont seem to be able to fix it. Tank is being redone anyway soon as our carpet floors are being changed to wood.

Im just interested in what this is? Theres always dirt/dust over everything? Ive used potting soil 1inch thick and gravel 1.5 inch thick. No matter how much i clean or vacuum away this stuff always comes back. What is it and whats causing it???

Attached Files:

2. SaltyPhone

SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +358
    Experience:
    1 year
    If it is truly green water two factors; lightning and nutrients. How long is the light on? Natural sunlight through a window? Nutrients ie ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels? Are you dosing ferts? How much per week?

3. OP
    OP
    Sir_Butters

Sir_ButtersNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    So when i setup tank i had it on 100pcnt 8-10 ,hours with no issue which eventually let the algae happen. Did blackout then reduced to 40pcnt and 8 hours. My gf had unplugged light which reset it to 100 without me knowing. When i found green coming back i did another blackout then 30 pcnt 8 hours. Its just come back and i thought might be plants weakness from blackouts so planted a bunch of ambulia but hasnt worked.
    Tests read perfect. Phosph 0 everything 0. No co2 or fertz

4. TrevorinTexas

TrevorinTexasNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Having the same issue but instead of green or black, the water is nowhere near as "clear" as the 5 gallon next to it. Changed filter media every day for last 72 hours; 50% water change every day for last 72 hours. HEAVILY planted which is what I've been reading is necessary for any ammonia leeching from the soil to be consumed by the plants. Any help or suggestions? Thanx

5. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +412
    Experience:
    4 years
    So are you following a siesta period? 5 hrs on, 4 hrs off, 5 hrs on? Also is this a new tank? You are probably getting diatoms (brown algae) you would see it on the walls too. If it looks like dust, or mulm , then maybe the gravel cap got disturbed during a water change. You may be out of luck there .

It took me a couple of tries to get my dirted tank "right". The second time I did this, I let the tank sit for a month with just an inch of water above the substrate. Didn't even plant. It let the soil transition to submerged state. In hindsight I could have tried a dry start method instead. Because a month was enough time for biofilm to develop, I had perfectly clear water from day 1. As Diana Walstad explains in her book, the biofilm helps reduce turbidity. The soil dust naturally clump together. I recently carefully removed a plant and had minimal mess, and clouding cleared up within minutes. Didn't get the dusting you are experiencing. Rescaping a dirted tank is generally a big no no .

Do you have her book? Or are you following some website instructions?

6. TrevorinTexas

TrevorinTexasNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Siesta period & following website instructions