Consolidating and Upgrading

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi all,

So I have a 55 gallon and a 10 gallon tank. I also have multiple empty tanks ranging from 5 up to 45 gallons in storage. I barely have any fish in the 10 gallon and my 55 is getting kind of cramped for my taste and the fish are growing. I want to consolidate and just have one big tank. I know that seems crazy. But I've been keeping fish for a while and MTS has come and gone... I rather have one really stunning show tank vs. a bunch of smaller average tanks. If that makes any sense.

So, I'm in the process of considering an upgrade. Possibly a 90 or maybe a 120 long. I don't think there's enough wallspace for a 125. I just know I want something way bigger than my current 55, haha.

Anyone have an recommendations for substrate, equipment, etc? I'm not sure how to go about filtering such a large tank. I don't think my eheim canister would be able to keep up with such a large tank. Should I do a sump? Or maybe a combination of HOBs and my current canisters? I'm considering a combination of my canister with a UGF. If anyone has experience heating and filtering such a big tank please feel free to chime in!

For stocking I'm going to take the fish from my 55 gallon and also add a few new fish. Here's what I'm thinking:
2 blood parrots
6 silver dollars
6 black skirt tetras
2 blue acaras
1 pleco

Does that sound okay?

It will probably be a while before I actually purchase and set up this tank, as I want to build a custom stand and canopy. I also have some repainting to do in the room where I want the tank so clearly that needs to be done first. I'm getting excited just thinking about it and brainstorming

MJDuti

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ask Aquarist48 (Ken). He's one of the moderators and has a massive tank (200+). He has a lot of the ideas you were thinking of and has had his big tank for quite some time. He also has most of the stock you wanted too...blood parrots, silver dollars, and I think a pleco.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awesome, thank you! I hadn't even realized this but now that I think of it Ken basically does have the set up I'm looking to put together! x

Fishy Friends

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We are sort of doing the same thing. Consolidating 2 - 55gals & 1 - 38gal into a 180. We thought about going to a 125 or 150 but with the size some of our fish will grow to - 180 seemed best. We are very fortunate to have the space for it.
Will be stocking with current fish:
4 large Angels
3 small clown loaches
6 black neon tetras
2 large & 1 small Gold Severum
1 Community loving Betta
3 YoYo loaches
8 Peppered Cory Cats
8 Green Cory Cats
1 large & 3 small Rosy Barbs
6 Oto Algae eaters
We will go from there after we make sure everyone is HappyHappyHappy
After trying a lot of different substrate found we like the sand. Black sand is beautiful but very messy - really like the white a lot & the fish love it.
We have 3 Fluval 306 canister filters on our 3 current tanks and have been extremely happy with them after getting use to them. Got an Fluval FX6 for the new tank - let you know later how that goes - right now it is still in box. Will keep one of the 306 for back-up & one for the growth tank & sell one with the extra tank.
Found a huge piece of Java wood @ LFS & plan to soak the heck out of it - it is a whitish color now but I think it gets darker when soaked. Have large pieces of white rock with lots of holes throughout & when placed with greenery - real plants mixed with silk ones on a blue background it is nice looking. Also bought a new heater but have no experience with it - will let you know how it does. Good luck...you seem to be a few months behind us

Fishy Friends

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'll have to check Ken out as well!

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow... sounds like you have quite the project going on, Fishy Friends! Will definitely have to check out your thread and follow it. Your stock list looks awesome, that is going to be a beautiful tank. Please do let me know how the FX6 works out for you. I was looking into the big eheim pro canisters (I have a few of the classic canisters right now) but they're so darn expensive! I have to do some tallying and see how much money I could get from selling all my extra tanks and equipment. I might even be able to go even bigger if I thin the herd of extra tanks and stuff!

Fishy Friends

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have become real fond of Amazon.com. If you get a Prime Account shipping is free. Thanks & I'll keep you posted.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great minds think alike... I've been a prime addict for years, Lol!

gilpi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like doing filter combinations,that way there is always a back up and you still get filtration you need.
My filters are classic too, 20 year old Fluvals but they work great, new canisters are pricey!

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah same here... I was browsing Dr. Foster and Smith and had another thought-- why not just get two Aquaclear 110s for the tank? That would probably be adequate, right? I could also get another eheim and run three of them on the tank. But I tend to think 3 intake tube and 3 spray bars would look kind of messy and cluttered :/

MJDuti

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For my "monster-dream setup" (180G), I was planning to have 2 HOBs, a couple sponges, and a 20Glong sump. I agree that a combo is the best bet, especially if something goes wrong and with a larger tank.

gilpi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You guys should check out your local Craigslist, I've gotten great deals on used filters.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom