Considering switching to 20 gallon long

glassescat

For the past few years, I've owned a 24 gallon cube tank that currently houses a nerite and five new pepper cories. I've been wanting to add a betta but I've been reading multiple times that both bettas and cories would be happier in a long tank.

So I plan to shop around for a 20 gallon long setup. However, would I have to redo the nitrogen cycle the aquarium for over a month like before, or can I transfer the ceramic rings media in the current filter (this one is built into the back so I can't remove it) to the new one and have it resume the cycle without killing my fish?

kansas

That worked for me. I dosed with Prime for a couple days in case the bacteria needed time to catch up to the bioload.

mattgirl

No need to go through the long drawn out cycling process. You can just move the cycle from one tank to the other. Since you are also moving fish fill the new tank half way with water from the old tank. There is little to no bacteria in the water but it is the water your water pets are used to. Once moved they will just feel like they got a 50% water change.

Move as much of the filter media as you can over to the new filter. Since bacteria is growing on everything in our tanks move as much decor as you can over to the new tank too. There going to be a lot of bacteria on the substrate so if you have gravel move it over too.

By moving as much as you can from one tank to the other the new tank will basically be cycled. It is always a good idea to keep an eye on the parameters for a couple of weeks after the move just in case there is a spike in ammonia.

I suspect your fish will love the new tank with so much more floor space. :)

KingOscar

20 long is a favorite of mine, I had one set up and running at my work place for 10 years. Please post pics!

glassescat

That worked for me. I dosed with Prime for a couple days in case the bacteria needed time to catch up to the bioload.
Ok that sounds good! Prime worked wonders for me when I first cycled my tank.
No need to go through the long drawn out cycling process. You can just move the cycle from one tank to the other. Since you are also moving fish fill the new tank half way with water from the old tank. There is little to no bacteria in the water but it is the water your water pets are used to. Once moved they will just feel like they got a 50% water change.

Move as much of the filter media as you can over to the new filter. Since bacteria is growing on everything in our tanks move as much decor as you can over to the new tank too. There going to be a lot of bacteria on the substrate so if you have gravel move it over too.

By moving as much as you can from one tank to the other the new tank will basically be cycled. It is always a good idea to keep an eye on the parameters for a couple of weeks after the move just in case there is a spike in ammonia.

I suspect your fish will love the new tank with so much more floor space. :)
Oh I didn't think about reusing half of the old water, that's a fantastic idea! I actually have sand for my substrate but I have some other things in the tank that should be okay.

I'm sure my fish will be much happier in this tank, and I will be too since it will be a bit easier for me to clean up as my current set up is a bit tall so it's always been a bit of a struggle to reach in and clean, especially the filter in the back.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Jordanlp
Replies
Views
Dycofree
Replies
Views