Considering Stocking Livebearers 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Robjoco, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Robjoco

Robjoco Valued Member Member

What do you do when you want to keep livebearers because they’re pretty and fun and inexpensive, but you don’t want to breed and have to find homes for all the future generations?

2. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

You get just males or just females! I'd suggest just males because they have much more exciting colouration.

3. lizcateyes

lizcateyes Valued Member Member

One option is to only stock males, since the females even if they are separate from males in the store, may have been exposed to males and can produce young several months after being separated from males. Stocking only males is a way to guarantee no unwanted babies, and male livebearers will generally not fight with each other. Another option is to stock fish that will eat the fry.

4. OP
    OP
    Robjoco

I love this! Thank you!

5. M

Madeline Peterson New Member Member

Just don't put any hiding places for the fry, and they will get eaten by the adults.
    Alternatively, you could get all males, as has already been suggested. Some female livebearers can store sperm for the rest of their lives.

6. OP
    OP
    Robjoco

Yikes!

7. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

If you add females, make it at least a 1m, 2f ratio or the male will constantly chase the female, stressing her.

My community has 2 male platys, 2 male mollies and 5 guppies 1m, 4 f.

Need some guppies??

8. OP
    OP
    Robjoco

That’s good info, thanks!

9. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

I second the get males. I got 1 female and now have a whole community. My new plan is to segregate males and females. However, I have the feeling that this will not work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice