Considering new lighting

bored411

I've got a 10-gallon that came from PetSmart and started off as a starter kit. I've since changed out the filter to a better one and while I hadn't planned on this being a low-tech planted tank, I picked up an Anubis and Java Fern. They're growing, though slow, which is fine. However, I just got ludwigia super red mini for my 3-gallon and they gave me an extra that I put in the 10-gallon.

Long story short, I'm considering getting rid of the hood that came with the tank. It's got two small light strips with 4 small bulbs and I don't think it would be anywhere close enough to help light the tank how it should be for the ludwigia, much less for the Anubis I moved to another corner where the light doesn't quite reach as well. So, I want to pick up a glass hinged lid and am looking at new lights. The Fluval 3.0 plant light or the Fluval AquaSky LED light were the two I was looking at since 6500K is what everyone is saying is best. Are there any other lights you might recommend? I'm leaning towards the AquaSky because it's cheaper.

Cody

I own both lights and overall the Fluval Plant is a better light as far as a much higher PAR rating and a true plant light.

But with a smaller/shorter tank the Aquasky would do well. And in reality with tanks that size you normally even up having to turn the intensity down a bit to avoid algae issues if you’re not using co2. I also own a Finnex HLC that I use on a 10 gallon low tech setup. It’s a very nice light, 24/7 light cycle and adjustable intensity. It’s comparable to the 3.0 in PAR strength. Fluvals are also 100% waterproof.

The Fluvals are overall a better light but the Finnex is nice light to just not as fancy. They are remote controlled vs App controlled and they are as customizable as the Fluval but they offer all you really need. Not sure how the price of The two compare though.

ChrissFishes01

I like Cody 's take! Lots of good info.

I much prefer a normal Finnex Stingray over most of the Fluval 2.0's/3.0's. I'm all for smart tech, but when it comes to my aquarium lights, I really like them to just work. Being able to program different sequences and change the lighting temperature is cool, but I think the Stingray gets everything about where I want it out of the box anyway, and a simple "On/Off" switch (or a timer) is hard to mess up.

I've only ever owned one Fluval 2.0 and one Fluval 3.0, and I wasn't terribly impressed with either. Lots of power, and the customization was awesome, but the app didn't play terribly nice with my phone, and I found myself messing with the app trying to get everything dialed in exactly right for a long time, and I never was really happy with it. Those lights are currently sitting in my closet, waiting for another project - I plan to use them again, so I don't hate them, I just don't think they're worth the extra money, and I definitely wouldn't consider them superior in build quality, other than the Fluvals being waterproof and not water-resistant.

Chris1212

Only one day into it but I'm happy with my new stingray 2. Simple but got great reviews

bored411

I own both lights and overall the Fluval Plant is a better light as far as a much higher PAR rating and a true plant light.

But with a smaller/shorter tank the Aquasky would do well. And in reality with tanks that size you normally even up having to turn the intensity down a bit to avoid algae issues if you’re not using co2. I also own a Finnex HLC that I use on a 10 gallon low tech setup. It’s a very nice light, 24/7 light cycle and adjustable intensity. It’s comparable to the 3.0 in PAR strength. Fluvals are also 100% waterproof.

The Fluvals are overall a better light but the Finnex is nice light to just not as fancy. They are remote controlled vs App controlled and they are as customizable as the Fluval but they offer all you really need. Not sure how the price of The two compare though.
I might end up getting the AquaSky. I work at a PetSmart and get a discount so they're still cheaper than the HLC and the Stingrays. This is all super good info though! I really appreciate it!

And algae was the one thing I was worried about! I've got 3 amano and 2 cory right now keeping it under control with little to no algae at the moment. I might get some otos or nerites for the tank too when I do get the light to help prevent algae getting crazy. I do not use CO2 but I have a liquid CO2 booster that I put in every couple of days since that seems to have helped boost my plants into growing more.

Cody

For sure then I would go Aquasky then considering your discount. Overall the Fluval light is a better product. And it is still pretty effective at growing most plants. And to be honest I upgraded from the Aquasky to the Plant on my 60g. I used to have the Aquasky ramp up to 100% from 12-3. I got the plant hoping to
Maybe keep some more difficult plants. But I found that if I got over 60% intensity that I would show signs of deficiency. I for sure have better growth but I can’t really keep any more difficult plants. I suspect CO2 is my limiting factor.

I do have a tall tank(24in) which complicate things too. But point being, in reality with my Plant dialed back to 60%, I’m only probably offering slightly more light intensity then I did with the Aquasky.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MCMastered
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cody
  • Question
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire