Considering Harlequin Rasboras

jinnix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all. My boyfriend and I have been reading about rasboras and I was hoping for some opinions. We've got a 20g long right now with six danios (three are long-finned) and an accidental female guppy. We introduced a school of bloodfin tetras a few weeks ago but they had columnaris and had to be returned. Thankfully none of our danios were affected at all. We were devastated through the ordeal, but are really grateful that our danios are hardy enough to make it through. We are hesitant about any kind of tetra now, but I hear that Harley's are rather hardy? We want something colorful and fun with a lot of movement. We don't necessarily want lots of different species, we would focus on adding more danios and getting a large school of one other type of fish. Do Harley's seem like a good option for us?

Thanks for any advice!

As an aside; we treated the tank with tri-sulfa, does anyone know if that might have also gotten the bacteria out of our driftwood? None of our fish are showing any symptoms after a week so is everything okay? Or should I make another thread for this question? Again, thanks!

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a school of 5 harlequin rasboras and I really like them. They are hardy ,peaceful fish that don't seem to bother anybody else. In my tank they stay around mid level, . They love to eat, don't seem to be shy and color up really nice once they settle in. I highly recommend them. Mine are in a 10 gal. but if I had a larger tank I would have a bigger school. Alison

Nympxzie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Harlequin's are a good option. Depending on how large your danio will get I would stick with a smaller # of rasbora. Shoot for 6-8 in a school.

Also, if you have a spare tank, quarantine is good practice for adding any newfish especially when the tank is mature. Adding possibly sick fish could infect all your live stock and interfere with the beneficial bacteria in your established tank. QT generally lasts from 1-3 weeks of just observing the new fish to make sure they are not carrying anything along with them

jinnix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have definitely learned my lesson on using a quarantine tank. It was a horrible experience and we really thought we were going to lose our whole tank. Are there any diseases or infections that rasboras are prone to that I should know about? Our tank water is consistently healthy so I'm not worried about poor water conditions for them

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not that I am aware of. However you never know if any of the fish on the system of tanks, at the store, have a problem that they could catch, so just being safe rather than sorry. Alison

yelirrr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good choice considering rasboras! I have a school of 10 in my 55 gallon tank and they are awesome to watch! Sadly I don't have much knowledge to offer on the diseases though, but mine are very healthy!

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yelirrr said:
Good choice considering rasboras! I have a school of 10 in my 55 gallon tank and they are awesome to watch! Sadly I don't have much knowledge to offer on the diseases though, but mine are very healthy!
Just want to say welcome to the forum. Alison

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom