Considering getting a krib

Madchild57

Hey all,
I'm giving a lot of thought to adding a Krib to my 55 gallon. I know they're typically peaceful, community fish, but I've read some horror stories about terror Kribs on this site. Is that usually only when they're breeding (which isn't an issue since I'm planning for only one), or can they just be like that sometimes? Overall, are they worth giving a shot in a community tank or is the chance of aggression too high?
The stocking for my tank is in my bio if anyone wants to reference that.

TheDojoMojo

I've kept 4 kribensis in a 55 gallon community for almost 2 years now. Although they are not quite fully grown yet, I have had them breed and lay eggs multiple times. When considering the fish, I too did my research and found stories of aggression. However, in my experience, I have had no real aggression so far, other than bickering between kribs during mating season. I run them with boesmanis, honey gouramis, and dojo loaches, despite the countless warnings on the internet that keeping kribs with other bottom-dwelling fish could lead to a problem. It is true that some of my dojos are larger than the kribs which may be why they were never aggressive to them, but then again, I have 2 that are the same size as the kribs and one that is smaller. Still seen no aggression to even the smallest one. With this in mind though, I wouldnt completely discount what others say. You may not want to keep them with bottom dwellers (especially aggressive ones. I think the fact that dojo loaches are just so peaceful and derpy as well as they look so different from the kribs may have played a role in the fact that the kribs didnt mind them). I dont have experience keeping a solo but it may tone down aggression because it wont try to breed. On the other hand, most every fish ive ever kept get less aggressive as the number of the same species increases. As far as the kribs go, Im not sure. You may get a peaceful one or you may not. I think a small group would be a good bet, but do whatever you want to go with. As long as you have plenty of cover and hiding places (and hopefully live plants) down on the bottom third, the fish will most likely do fine from what I know. This way when it comes time to breed, the pair can mark a territory where they can lay there mate/lay eggs. If youve got the cover, and you dont have any bottom dwellers that may cause trouble, the fish wont go out of theyre way to attack any other fish. Overall I think this fish is peaceful, but can be semi aggressive depending on the conditions they are kept in as well as the nature of the individual fish. They are less popular in the hobby than they should be in my opinion. As far as the "horror stories" go, I think if proper care is taken, no problems will present themselves. The takeaway is gonna be to keep them with as minimal stress as possible, give cover on the bottom and sight blockers such as a bunch of plants/caves, find suitable tank mates, expect minor aggression between kribs during mating as this is normal, but they shouldnt be killing each other, and id say go for it! If you see serious signs of aggression (other than lightly chasing another fish away from its space) you can always take them back to your lfs. One thing I will add though now that Im reading your tank details, is a rainbow shark, which was rather territorial for me, may pose a problem. Dont know though... Keep an eye on that though and if all goes well, youve got yourself a peaceful, beautiful, smart fish.

Madchild57

TheDojoMojo said:
I've kept 4 kribensis in a 55 gallon community for almost 2 years now. Although they are not quite fully grown yet, I have had them breed and lay eggs multiple times. When considering the fish, I too did my research and found stories of aggression. However, in my experience, I have had no real aggression so far, other than bickering between kribs during mating season. I run them with boesmanis, honey gouramis, and dojo loaches, despite the countless warnings on the internet that keeping kribs with other bottom-dwelling fish could lead to a problem. It is true that some of my dojos are larger than the kribs which may be why they were never aggressive to them, but then again, I have 2 that are the same size as the kribs and one that is smaller. Still seen no aggression to even the smallest one. With this in mind though, I wouldnt completely discount what others say. You may not want to keep them with bottom dwellers (especially aggressive ones. I think the fact that dojo loaches are just so peaceful and derpy as well as they look so different from the kribs may have played a role in the fact that the kribs didnt mind them). I dont have experience keeping a solo but it may tone down aggression because it wont try to breed. On the other hand, most every fish ive ever kept get less aggressive as the number of the same species increases. As far as the kribs go, Im not sure. You may get a peaceful one or you may not. I think a small group would be a good bet, but do whatever you want to go with. As long as you have plenty of cover and hiding places (and hopefully live plants) down on the bottom third, the fish will most likely do fine from what I know. This way when it comes time to breed, the pair can mark a territory where they can lay there mate/lay eggs. If youve got the cover, and you dont have any bottom dwellers that may cause trouble, the fish wont go out of theyre way to attack any other fish. Overall I think this fish is peaceful, but can be semi aggressive depending on the conditions they are kept in as well as the nature of the individual fish. They are less popular in the hobby than they should be in my opinion. As far as the "horror stories" go, I think if proper care is taken, no problems will present themselves. The takeaway is gonna be to keep them with as minimal stress as possible, give cover on the bottom and sight blockers such as a bunch of plants/caves, find suitable tank mates, expect minor aggression between kribs during mating as this is normal, but they shouldnt be killing each other, and id say go for it! If you see serious signs of aggression (other than lightly chasing another fish away from its space) you can always take them back to your lfs. One thing I will add though now that Im reading your tank details, is a rainbow shark, which was rather territorial for me, may pose a problem. Dont know though... Keep an eye on that though and if all goes well, youve got yourself a peaceful, beautiful, smart fish.
Yeah I heard that you can't keep kribs even with cories and I thought something was up there. Not sure if when people talk about krib problems/behavior issues its only when they're breeding. Like I said before I would want to only keep one, so if their problems are only from breeding behavior I'd be good.
As far as the rainbow shark, I've had it for a year now, its almost max size, and not aggressive at all, so I don't think it would be a problem.

TheDojoMojo

Madchild57 said:
Yeah I heard that you can't keep kribs even with cories and I thought something was up there. Not sure if when people talk about krib problems/behavior issues its only when they're breeding. Like I said before I would want to only keep one, so if their problems are only from breeding behavior I'd be good.
As far as the rainbow shark, I've had it for a year now, its almost max size, and not aggressive at all, so I don't think it would be a problem.
Thats good. Rainbow shark aggression can be hit or miss imo. Since youre intending to keep one, I'd try it and see if it causes problems by keeping an eye on it, and if it did, I'd just bring it back.

yukondog

If your just going to have one get a male, solo females can be aggressive at times.

Top Bottom