Connection Between Zero Nitrates And Lots Of Bga

ethantobey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've read from numerous sources that you might be inviting BGA if you have zero nitrates, so I was very curious because my tank has loads of BGA, on my plants, on my sand and on my glass... basically everywhere. so I tested my water and sure enough I have zero nitrates. Do I just have zero nitrates because all of the cyanobacteria is eating it up? or is the cyano thriving because my water is so clean(heard that cyano doesnt like NO3)? How can I get rid of it??
36 gallon
Started double dosing Flourish Excel a few weeks ago
Dosing 1 ml Flourish everyday
40watt 6500k LED on 7hrs a day

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Do you have zero ammonia and nitrites too? As @MikeRad89 said, you're letting the algae thrive by doubling your dose. Additionally, you probably don't have enough oxygen in the tank, and it's too stagnant. You can rid cyanobacteria with antibacterial medicine like API erythromycin.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plants have need of some things to grow and to get a balanced tank. If one of those lack, plantgrowth will hit the brakes and primitive plants (algae) / bacteria (cyano).take over.

Light
Carbon
Nitrates / Phosfates (macros)
Traces of all kind of other minerals (micros)

If one lacks and you'll add one more tye unbalance will get worse and worse.

So YES the lack of nitrates might cause this. Nitrates are the endproduct of the nitrogyn-cycle so food means nitrates.
You could add though and test phosfates as well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom