Connecting Ponds

imyourhuckleberry

I joined because of starting an aquarium but great to see a pond thread! I have about 400 gallons, moderately planted in my front yard with 3 Goldfish (and an uninvited frog). I filter everything through a little Tetra skimmer box and UV filter uphill to a waterfall biofiter that drops the water down a little rocky stream back into the pond (maybe 12 feet long).
I am looking at adding a second pond where the stream starts. I probably only have room for maybe 1000 gallons with max depth of 3.5 feet (wife won’t let me go deeper until the kids are older).
My plan is to keep pumping from the lower pond as is but move the little waterfall into the new one and have the low point be into the stream running back down to the original pond.
My question: I’d like to add a couple Koi but don’t have the room or filtration for too many. If I move the 3 goldfish to the new pond, would they make the 2 koi feel less stressed?
I should add I am in Colorado and the existing pond has been stable for about 3 years.

Rottie16

I'm new here. But I have 3 ponds attached. It works great. I will try to add a pic. I'm learning this forum stuff.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • EdmGuppyGal
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
EdmGuppyGal
  • Question
  • ooosparkeyooo
  • Ponds
Replies