Connecting 2 tanks?

frogster221
I want to connect 2 tanks. one is a 20 gallon and the other is a 10 gallon can I connect these 2 by an aqua bridge or is there an easier way that doesn't include drilling holes in the sides of my tanks. if I can connect the tanks via aqua bridge how would I do that? I also would like the tanks to be either sorta T shaped or end to end. please help. thanks

p.s. if anybody needs to get rid of a tank I'll buy it off your hands

Shawnie
lol there are a lot of fishaholics here..I think we all buy more and never seem to get rid of any...happy hunting!

frogster221
hey one day someone will eventually have to get rid of one for some reason

sirdarksol
The easiest way that I can think of is to drill holes in the sides of the tank, and that is not easy.
The only other way that I can come up with is what I'm guessing you're calling an aqua bridge. If you put an upside-down "U" (made out of clear piping) with one branch in each tank, suck all of the air out of it, and make sure that the water level in each tank stays above the opening in the piping, the water will remain in that area. We've seen this kind of setup with a single tank, and the effect is awesome, but it's difficult to pull off. You need to keep the vessel that extends above the surface of the water very steady so you don't end up with a horrible accident.

GreenMan13
Try that forum.

frogster221
where could I get like a u shaped clear tube and how can I get the air out of the tube

GreenMan13
Look at the last post on that forum. I think it has another link to a forum of someone looking for clear tubes.

frogster221
I know my lfs sells clear tubing for watever reason but its really thin the bridge will only span for about a foot total length above the water could I use that? and if I do cannect the 2 tanks by an aqua bridge can I only use 1 30 gallon filter for the bothe or should I have a filter for the both of them?

GreenMan13
How thin is thin? Is it like a long tube about the diameter of a florescent bulb? My LFS sells some like that which are for covering the tube to protect it or to just change the color of the tube. Those are really thin, like you could crease then with your fingers. They would not be thick enough.

Also is this with the tank that you are going to try and make into a terrarium? If so, I don't think a water bridge might be difficult due to the height above the water.

Pump wise, a canister would be best in this case so you can pump out of one area and into the other so that water flows through the tube so that the tube stays cleaner. Other wise two would probably be needed, one for each tank since the water would not mix that much between tanks.

Trpimp147
um a person on here has connected two larger tanks I just have to find the post where he did that give me a few

here is what timg did with one of his tanks

same way just put it over two tanks I'm still looking for the other one I seen of his.

here is the one I was looking for ....
I donno were you would find clear pvc piping.... you can use them flurencet tube things just no 90 degree angle in clear... or maybe that size works well I hear some stores to sell them already made u just hook up a air pump to suck that air out of the tube set up.

30yrfishguy
I have seen this done using hamster tubing..the kind they use on habitats. sealing the plastic rings with silicone to each segment of 3" plastic tubing. the one I saw was irridecent yellow with green plastic connectors. and low and behold if I didnt see fish actually swim through the thing.

frogster221
I want to connect my 2 10 gallon tanks up next to each other to make a long 20 gallon tank

I tested the thin plastic tubing from my lfs and I know it can handle the waight of the water but i'm having trouble curving it to the next tank I was thinking about cutting it in such a way that they would form a 90 degree angle then using some hot glue to waterproof the seam in my head it works but I wanted to get some oponions first

GreenMan13
Can you post a picture of this tubing?

sirdarksol
Instead of hot glue, I would get some of the silicone tank sealant. It was made to hold this kind of pressure. You could probably use hot glue to quickly tack the tubes together, then use the silicone to actually seal them.
I've used the stuff on a number of DIY projects, and it has yet to fail me.

timg
HI all! Just a quick look in and couldn't help but see this thread, so here are a couple of useful ideas that might work:

If you just want to equalise the water levels, a piece of plastic waste pipe and two 90 degree elbows works very well. I use 1 1/2" waste pipe and drill a 4mm hole in the top of the centre section to glue in a one-way valve to remove the air from the pipe. This will allow water free passage from one tank to the other and small fish can traverse the pipe too, unless you fit a mesh screen on the ends. If you want larger fish to move from tank to tank, just use a larger bore pipe, using the same method, using pipe-weld to seal the joints. All these parts can be found in your local builders merchant at very reasonable prices.

Perspex tubing is very expensive in that larger sizes and problematic to seal without the correct fittings, but it does look good!

Another option is to use glass to form the tube, making it into square box shapes and silicon sealing the joints/corners. Ideal for longer runs of pipe, cheaper than perspex, but heavier and more brittle. It would need to be supported well.

One point to note: Silicon does sometimes have problems sealing to plastics, so if you intend to use silicon, be sure to roughen the surface before application, to give the silicon a good bond!

frogster221
is the plastic waste pipe your talking about clear? if you have a small none python (the cheap kind) gravel cleaning thing the very end that you stick in the gravel the clear part is the clear plastic tubing I'm talking about sorry I don't know how to post a picture just yet

timg
Yeah, I know the type of tubing you are talking about, but I've never found any fittings for bends for that stuff! The waste pipe is usually white or grey plastic, so you can't see through it, but over a short distance between two tanks side by side, it wouldn't matter too much. If you wanted to get creative, you could connect the opposite ends of the tanks using the glass box method with very good effect! It would look very cool to have the fish swimming across the top of the tanks, don't you think?

frogster221
it would look great but I'm only 15! I don't know how to do that and my parents don't help me too much they just take me to the store and say it looks good I can figure out how to cut and glue the plastic together but glass is way out of my league

GreenMan13
I would go with just pvc or abs (the black waste pipe) because they have fittings that will bend the pipe without having a huge risk of leaking or breaking. If you really want to try and use the clear pipe that it used to clean gravel with, see if any of the pvc fittings will fit that. If you cut it at a 45deg angle and glue it together it will not be that strong of a connection and I would be worried of it breaking in the future causing a flood.

If the pvc fittings don't fit that tube and you still really want to have it clear I would just save up the money and but clear pvc rather then gluing 45deg angles together.

Neville
It is risky, I think it would be better if u take the tank to the fishstore, they will do it for u. if u do it yourself the tank may leak.

sirdarksol
I don't think he's talking about drilling the tanks. I think he's talking using the laws of physics to create a bridge suspended over the space between the tanks.

August_Jacque
It's such a cool Idea... I'm so tempted, except my little guppies would probably end up in my eel's tank. I wouldn't have any guppies for long.

I've been wondering... I have a thirty gallon tank right now, and an empty fifty gallon tank. A full grown eel will need about 75 gallons of water and both those tanks put together would be 80 gallons. If I put a water bridge between the tanks, preferably cut into the tank so that the hole is toward the bottom of the tank so my eel would traverse it.. would that be just as good as having him in a 75 galon tank?

GreenMan13
It's such a cool Idea... I'm so tempted, except my little guppies would probably end up in my eel's tank. I wouldn't have any guppies for long.

I've been wondering... I have a thirty gallon tank right now, and an empty fifty gallon tank. A full grown eel will need about 75 gallons of water and both those tanks put together would be 80 gallons. If I put a water bridge between the tanks, preferably cut into the tank so that the hole is toward the bottom of the tank so my eel would traverse it.. would that be just as good as having him in a 75 galon tank?

No that will not work. The need for at least a 75 gallon tank is so that the eel can swim around and not feel cramped. It would be like a person having only a bedroom and a kitchen and having to crawl through a tunnel to get to each other room. Can't really run around in that small area compared to having just one big room.

frogster221
the reason I want it clear is so that the fish won't be scared to go in it, so it doesn't look like I have my plumbing going through my room, and so that I can see the fish. the piping will only be going out over the side of one tank and directly into the other. the tank's rims will be touching. I think it might be ok. o and where could I buy clear pvc tubing?

sirdarksol
With any other fish, I would agree with Greenman. With an eel, whose life is mostly spent crawling through tunnels, that might actually work.

GreenMan13
the reason I want it clear is so that the fish won't be scared to go in it, so it doesn't look like I have my plumbing going through my room, and so that I can see the fish. the piping will only be going out over the side of one tank and directly into the other. the tank's rims will be touching. I think it might be ok. o and where could I buy clear pvc tubing?

I was actually thinking clear acrylic tubes when I said clear pvc.
USPlastic
Might be cheaper then PVC. Don't know about fittings for it though.

Just did a google on clear pvc. Turns out there are companies that sell that too.

That would be about $100 for a 2inch diameter with fittings.

With any other fish, I would agree with Greenman. With an eel, whose life is mostly spent crawling through tunnels, that might actually work.

That is true. You might have to make it with 45deg bends instead of 90deg ones though so it doesn't get stuck at too tight of a bend. I don't know how much that type of eel can bend vertically. Of course just drilling the sides would totally by pass this possible problem, if it is really even a problem.

sirdarksol
Auguste's description was to actually drill the tanks and put a connecting tube in, so that would bypass the "problem" (I also don't know how much they can bend. I've seen them double over backwards, but that can be more difficult in tight quarters.)

frogster221
can I use polycarbonate tubing instead of pvc or acrylic

sirdarksol
Yes, yes, yes, and definitely yes. Polycarb is pretty much a more dense version of acrylic (simplification, but for the practices we're concerned about here, it works), and is super difficult to break. From what I've heard, it's one of the best materials you could use for anything involving tanks, as long as you have the ability to work with it.

frogster221
great its cheaper than that other stuff. how do I work with it and what might I have to go to cut it and all that stuff?

GreenMan13
Where are you finding it cheap? Everywhere I have looked (not a lot) have been a lot more then acrylic per foot.

GreenMan13
I don't know if we are seeing the same numbers or not.

For about a 1 3/4" ID
2" OD x 1 3/4" ID Acrylic Tubing - $2.17
2" OD x 1-7/8" ID x 1/16" Wall Polycarbonate Tubing - $3.25
2" OD x 1-3/4" ID x 1/8" Wall Polycarbonate Tubing - $6.24

For about a 1" ID
1 1/4" OD x 1" ID Acrylic Tubing - $1.30
1-1/8" OD x 1" ID x 1/16" Wall Polycarbonate Tubing - $1.76

So I guess if you are going with a small size it will not be much more but it is not cheaper no matter what size I looked at.

These are all per foot cost with out shipping also.

frogster221
ok I thought it was cheaper sorry

admiral682
hey folks I did this about 10years ago and still doing this when I first started this I didn't know if it would work and surprisely it did for a test run I bought some 5 gallon hexagon tanks just for a test and I drilled a hole on each side of them I got a clear plastic tube for the tunnel for each tank and glued and put some sealant around it also, and it worked I had a total of five 5gal hexs and one 5 gal rectangle tank attached to then and put different color gravel in each tank to for looks and it worked great for 2 years until I had to move it because I was moving out of that place now it at a much greater scale now and you can get all these supplies at your local pet store cheaply

John

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
listsomewords
Replies
Views
Ntruder1400
Replies
Views
JayH
Replies