Pishies

Pishies Valued Member Member

Really? For real?

6. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

Yup!

7. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

Cardinals are safe with Congos. Congos are actually a peaceful fish and will do more harm to plants than fish. But Congos could be stressed by another middle schooler (not 100% sure in such a large tank) so I would do Zebra Danios maybe. You still have room for a school of Corys.
    I would do:
    15 Congo Tetras
    25 Cardinal Tetras
    15 Corydoras (not sure which kind)

OR

20 Congo Tetras
    15 Zebra Danios
    15 Corydoras (not sure which kind)

8. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Oooh. I've never kept Congo tetras, but I've looked into them before and thought about getting some, because they are so beautiful! I always thought of them as pretty docile, but fissh has an awful lot of experience, maybe he knows something? I would think combining them with cardinal tetras might be ok. Congos are significantly larger, but not big enough to swallow a cardinal or anything. They're from different continents, so you never know what issues may arise, but both prefer soft acidic conditions, I believe? In fact I think Congo tetras may be one example of a fish where you actually design the set up to be more natural for them. Apparently they can adapt to neutral and harder water conditions, but if you really want to see their beautiful natural coloration, conditions should be ideal. Since most cardinal tetras are "wild-farmed" on blackwater streams and rivers in South America, these soft acidic conditions would benefit both.

9. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

I've kept Congos, and I've kept cardinals, but I've never kept them together! It would be a very pretty tank if it works:) But with the size difference my "GUESS" is it won't. If you do try it let us know how it turns out :;bananawater

10. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I have never had a problem with Congos and fish the size of cardinals. But I would think twice about combining the two.
    There is a considerable size difference, at the start. Stores sell small Congos, but they grow. They won't hurt cardinals, but they will outcompete them.
    Congos like a good fast current near the surface.
    Cardinals like very slow water.

You will have a tank where you see the Congos, but the cardinals will take cover and be less evident. The only way I see this working (it could be pretty) is with a lot of Amazon sword, larger Cryptocoryne planting, to make distinct zones, and the outflow from a good filter aimed to stir up the surface but not drive down into thew tank. A 75 gives options.

If you are a plastic/silk plant person, it won't work well.

A warning though - the cardinals will always be dominated, and if they are very small and young cardinals and you don't already have plants going, they could get eaten. Congos are not predatory, but a free lunch is a free lunch. With young Congos and cardinals, and a good planted set up with well planned filters, you should be good.

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with NB.