Congo tetras Question

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by Magoo, Jan 1, 2013.

1. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Hello :)
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Congo tetras? I am still trying to make my mind up for my schooling fish that will be going in my bigger tank when it is ready and I want to already have my stock list ready in my head so prevent me from impulse buying when I go to get my fish.

I have read up on them a little but not really found much information so if anyone can share their experience, advice it will be very much appreciated.

Thank you

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I love my congos. I started them in a 55 and upgraded to a 75. They are fantastic and grow into some beautiful fish. What would you like to know about them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jHY7TJuwQ

WOW my ctenopoma's gotten big since then....

3. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

4. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Happy new year guys :) thank you for the quick replies :)

I am setting up my new 63.5 gallon tomorrow when the stand arrives finally I'm very excited and I just can't decide on schooling fish for it I was going to have harlequins but have gone off that idea now since congo's caught my eye at the LFS I have been looking at rainbows too so it's between the two I think.

Are congo's peaceful?
    What is the best school size?
    Would they work with a TSS cycle?
    What diet do they prefer?
    Are they compatible with angels?

Sorry have lots of questions :)
    The other fish I will be getting are

2 angels undecided which yet really want pinoy ghosts but haven't found them yet

15 corydoras adolphoi and soda pop I think or maybe Venezuelan blacks with the adolphoi

1 maybe 2 plecostamus I have too much choice with these lol :)

I didn't realise that congo's grow so big they are beautiful how do you sex them?
    Will all males be ok or will they fight?

Beautiful tanks by the way I love them both :)

What substrate have you used?

5. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

thanks and your welcome

why not have rainbows and congos if your tank is big enough but i have no idea if it is, mine get along fine with the rainbows and i have been tryin to get some smokey pinoys for ages so they should be ok with angels from what ive read or i wouldnt have considered them for my tank

not sure how tosex them, ive just went on the colouration but im sure jaysee will know, if mine are indeed all males there is a bit of chasing each other but nothing to be worried about

i have sand substrate and i feed them pellets cucumber and bloodworm but do have some NLS on order

i would get at least 6, im going to eventually up mine to 10

6. MagooFishlore VIPMember

I never thought of having them both hmmmmm interesting I do like the red rainbows and the normal ones but I think if I had to choose between the congo's and the rainbows I would go for congo's as their tails are so unusual :)

Pinoy smokies are beautiful too one of my LFS is going to see if they can get some ghosts for me if not I think I will go with either marbles or blues :)

7. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I believe their tail is where they got the name interruptus.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

8. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

:)i love their fins too:)

they have a lovely white edge to them all

ive been waiting for over 2 months for my angels but im sure they will be worth the wait

9. MagooFishlore VIPMember

The dimensions are
    Length 120cm or 47.2"
    Width 40cm or 15.7"
    Height 50cm or 19.7"

It's 63 US gallons :)

10. MagooFishlore VIPMember

I don't mind waiting for fish if its ones I have longed for :) although I have been known to be a little impatient which is why I want my stocking list prepared in advance :)

11. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Okay good. That's big enough for the congos. The number of gallons has little to do with stocking, since two containers with different shapes can have the same volume :) It's the dimensions that matter.

12. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

i know what you mean, patience really is a vertue:)

big step up in tank size, you had 1 this big before?

13. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Thank you :) guess I never thought of it that way before :) how many would fit in with my stock list?

14. MagooFishlore VIPMember

I haven't :) I am very excited I currently have 5 gallon and 6 gallon and an empty 12 gallon that will be going to its new home soon I've been longing for a decent sized tank for a while :)

15. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

just had a look at the ghost pinoy, I WANT THEM NOW ;)

similar but i will be ringing up my lfs to change my order me thinks:p

16. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Sorry ;) they are just so very very beautiful I am hoping to hear from my LFS to see if they can get me some the owners are wonderful and really do like a challenge lol

17. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

i bet you are

big tanks are great but can be a nightmare to stock:)

are you going to go with sand? your cory`s will love it

18. MagooFishlore VIPMember

I think I'm going to use children's play sand once I have spent several hours rinsing it ;) it's just so much cheaper and will give me the look I want. I was going to use black sand but with the fish and wood being mostly dark I thought lighter sand would work better :)

19. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

thats all i used, and it wasnt bad to clean either , just a few rinses and i was good to go

are you getting any mts for the sand or are they not your :;tea

20. MagooFishlore VIPMember

I love my snailies :) I have a few different kinds in my two tanks :) I will be adding some mts and will hopefully be adding a couple of mystery snails too. The currents snails I have are in a tank with higher ph than my tap water as it has got crushed coral substrate so I might not take any from that tank and see if my LFS will part with some I'm sure they will.

I also got two assassins for my other tank the other day I'm surprised how pretty they are and hopefully they will take care of the pesky ponds :)

Do your congo's bother the snails? I forgot to ask that earlier lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice