Congo tetras right for me?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Ewest, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Ewest

Ewest Valued Member Member

Hello, so i have a 20g long planted tank with 2 bolivian rams, a dwarf gorami, 2 killifish, and 6 black neon tetras. The black neons are starting to get old and I am thinking of replacing them with 6 congo tetras. What is your opinion on this? Any advice is welcome.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

20g is way too small for Congo tetras, they get up to 4-5". Minimum would be a 55g or something with 48" footprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Ewest

Are you sure? I have never heard of them getting over 3.5"??

4. Dom90

Ok maybe it's 4", but I still wouldn't add them into anything less than a 36" footprint as the bare minimum.

5. OP
    OP
    Ewest

Any suggestions then for new schooling fish? Im tired of the whole basic tetra thing.

6. Dom90

So you're trying to avoid all tetras?

7. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I've seen plenty of male Congos over 4", I would not put six in a 20 long. However, you might get 5-6 Diamond Tetras to work in there. They are deeper bodied, and have essentially the same colors as a Congo, but with some spangling. Males also have longer fins like the congos. They are also not as frenetic as Congos can be.

8. OP
    OP
    Ewest

Not all tetras just the run of the mill neon tetra, id like something more flashy or unique if you will.

@chromedome52 what fish in in your profile pic!?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
  9. Dom90

Pristella tetras maybe? Or those X-Ray pristella tetras.

10. OP
    OP
    Ewest

11. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Cherry barbs are more colorful, but still dont take up much room

12. Dom90

What about Melanotaenia Praecox?

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What about some type of danio? The orange finned danio is nice (Danio kyathit).
    And yes congos are too big for a 20g.

14. Dom90

Oh yea I remember asking about those a month or so ago. They're really beautiful!

But don't danios need cooler water? He has a Bolivian ram in there.

15. f2002

f2002 Valued Member Member

I highly recommend rummynose tetras:

[video=youtube;uJF6z9SBVGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJF6z9SBVGA[/video]

They are probably the tightest schoolers and with enough open space they will swim back and forth in your aquarium all day long. The only drawback is that they are really difficult to acclimate, so you need to make sure you get them from a reputable LFS and that your water is pristine.

16. OP
    OP
    Ewest

My Bolivians have been laying eggs 1-2 times a month so the water is jusssst fine ;)

So i like the diamond tetras, Rummys, and dwarf rainbow fish the most. I think I will go look and see what my LFS has in stock tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
  17. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Nematobrycon Palmeri aka Emperor Tetras , not your average tetra type. They are the Einstein's of the tetra clan.

18. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The picture in my avatar is a killifish, Laimosemion xiphidius. Rare, even among Killifish people; expensive when you can find it; and not easy to maintain and breed. Not a community tank fish.

19. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I like emperors too. But check out what you can get locally. Is having something shipped a possibility for you?

20. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

The smaller rainbowfish work too. Not Praecox though, they are wayyyyyy to active. They use up every inch of my tank
    The forktails, Celebes, etc will work

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice