Congo Tetra

Esimm03

Member
Hi,
So I have a 20G that has recovered from a crash (lost tonnes of fish over a week) all seems to be ok now (the peramiters didn't change during the time, so I assume it was fungI or ich) I medicated and quarantined all fish, only a kribensis and guppy survived, I was wondering if I could house a school of say 5 congo tetras in there (I may wait until I'm sure the tank is ok), but I was wondering if there would be any conflicts or if the tank is too small?

Thanks,
Ethan
 

ValerieAdams

Member
I would say it's too small. Congo tetras can get up to 3 inches. They are suggested to have a 4 foot long tank.
 
  • Thread Starter

Esimm03

Member
ValerieAdams said:
I would say it's too small. Congo tetras can get up to 3 inches. They are suggested to have a 4 foot long tank.
Ok, it's a Fluval Roma 90... Could I get less than 5? Like 3 ?

Ethan
 

ValerieAdams

Member
Esimm03 said:
Ok, it's a Fluval Roma 90... Could I get less than 5? Like 3 ?

Ethan
That's about half the length that is suggested. No, you shouldn't really do less than 5 or 6, in my opinion, for any schooling fish. 5-6 is recommended for a school but bigger numbers are better.
 
  • Thread Starter

Esimm03

Member
ValerieAdams said:
That's about half the length that is suggested. No, you shouldn't really do less than 5 or 6, in my opinion, for any schooling fish. 5-6 is recommended for a school but bigger numbers are better.
Ok, is there any other schooling fish that would work? I'm taking a trip to a wholesalers in a week to get some fish Ive been looking for for ages (bubble eye goldfish) and may pick up a school for my 20G, I'm looking for something that's oddball, and would fit in a jungle Scape (with tannins and lots of plants)

Ethan
 

ValerieAdams

Member
Esimm03 said:
Ok, is there any other schooling fish that would work? I'm taking a trip to a wholesalers in a week to get some fish Ive been looking for for ages (bubble eye goldfish) and may pick up a school for my 20G, I'm looking for something that's oddball, and would fit in a jungle Scape (with tannins and lots of plants)

Ethan
What temperature are you keeping it at? 20 high or long?
 
  • Thread Starter

Esimm03

Member
ValerieAdams said:
What temperature are you keeping it at? 20 high or long?
It's at about 26°c, I've got a cold water tank and tropical (bubble eye is going in the cold water tank, and the school in the tropical), I think it's a 20 high (Its longer than it is tall, but still quite tall for a 20G)

Ethan
 

Bryangar

Member

ValerieAdams

Member
Esimm03 said:
It's at about 26°c, I've got a cold water tank and tropical (bubble eye is going in the cold water tank, and the school in the tropical), I think it's a 20 high (Its longer than it is tall, but still quite tall for a 20G)

Ethan
For that temperature, I would do rummynose tetras, cardinal tetras, I think some people do ember tetras in warmer temps like that, harlequin rasboras, lambchop rasbora, and chilI rasboras are some options
 
  • Thread Starter

Esimm03

Member
ValerieAdams said:
For that temperature, I would do rummynose tetras, cardinal tetras, I think some people do ember tetras in warmer temps like that, harlequin rasboras, lambchop rasbora, and chilI rasboras are some options
Brilliant , thank you for the recommendations, I'll see what the wholesalers have from the list and base it from there

Thanks,
Ethan

bryangar said:
I would get a school of cardinal tetras with maybe an apisto.
Would an apisto fight with the kribensis?
 

Redshark1

Member
Probably.
 

Annie59

Member
Oh your topic caught my attention. I just LOVE Congos. I agree that tank would be to small, I really don't know what I would put in it.
I do know when I had my Congos I had them in a 75 gallon tank, they weren't overly active but enough to need a bigger tank. Which is to bad because you would love them. But we have to think of the fish lol.
Good luck with your stocking
 
  • Thread Starter

Esimm03

Member
Annie59 said:
Oh your topic caught my attention. I just LOVE Congos. I agree that tank would be to small, I really don't know what I would put in it.
I do know when I had my Congos I had them in a 75 gallon tank, they weren't overly active but enough to need a bigger tank. Which is to bad because you would love them. But we have to think of the fish lol.
Good luck with your stocking
They are amazing , heading off on Tuesday, I'll take a look and post what I get.... Mabey I'll try glass catfish again?


Ethan
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom