Congo Tetra Vanished

mossman

I had 8 Congo Tetra in my 55 gallon and as of yesterday I only have 7. I have no clue what happened to the eighth one. He is nowhere to be found. Is it possible he got sick and died and was eaten by his fellow Congos? If that is what happened, I would expect to see at least some remnants of the dead fish. Unless maybe the assassin snails cleaned up whatever remained? I don't see any other logical explanation.

chromedome52

Is the tank tightly covered? Congos are great jumpers. Otherwise, I'd certainly say that a dead fish could have easily been completely consumed overnight.

mossman

It's an acrylic tank with integrated top, with two cutouts for HOB filters. I looked around the tank and do not see a fish anywhere.

Redshark1

Dead fish seem to get into the most inaccessible places. I'd have another check. Like you're playing hide and seek.

mossman

Another Congo vanished overnight and no sign of him. What the **** is going on!? All I can think of is they are starving to death them being eaten by the other congos and snails. I can't think of any other explanation. They eat like crazy and are constantly swimming around searching for food. Maybe I should start feeding them twice a day?

GlennO

Fish starving to death in captivity is rare and doesn’t normally happen suddenly. Takes a long time and you would notice signs of emaciation and sickness beforehand. I don’t know what is actually happening though.

Latest threads

Top Bottom