Congo Tetra Stocking Ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by jhigg008, Jun 26, 2016.

1. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

I am in the middle of a 55 gallon tank build. I have been planning to make it a betta sorority (which I I am still seriously considering), but my husband told me tonight (as he was staining the tank stand he just built for me...) that he was not too excited about that idea. It is always better for me when he is excited about stuff because then he will be more forgiving when the budget goes over >:D:;a>:D. So, he once told me he thought the congos were cool. He also likes the African Rift Cichlids, but my water is very soft and I do not want to have to worry about messing with the water chemistry all the time. Long story short, what could I put in the 55 gallon with a school of congo tetras? Centerpiece fish, etc.?

2. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

angelfish, kribensis, firemouth (depending how soft), pair of rams?

Steatocranus casuarius

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Keyhole cichlids? Depends on how soft it is, of course.

4. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

With crushed coral it is about 3-4 dkh. Without I am lucky if it is 1.

Havent tested gh in awhile but around 2 degrees likely.

Dont really want to do angels. I like dwarf cichlids, but my husband is now talking about wanting JDs or a green terror...Congos would become an expensive dinner right?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  5. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Hi I just noticed your post about Congo Tetras and thought I'd give some encouragement.

I think these fish are one of the best it is possible to keep.

I have a shoal of nine in a 6ft aquarium. I bought them as dither fish for my Clown Loaches and this has worked really well. My Clown Loaches come out more as they see the Congo Tetras swimming about showing it's safe.

For a Centrepiece fish (that you could hand-feed if you wanted) in your situation I would probably like to try a Moonlight Gourami. A Kissing Gourami is a very underrated fish too and one I've kept and rate highly (so colourful and characterful). (For other people a single Angelfish would be my favourite and without the problems of pairs.)

I think an Electric Blue Jack Demsey is a lovely fish but it would be down to the individual whether it would work so perhaps a bit risky. However, I think it would be worth a try if you started with a small one that grew up with the tetras. Maybe not with a pair though as they will want all that small territory to themselves!

Advantages of Congo Tetras (if you can do the usual good water quality):
    Very reliable healthy disease-free fish.
    Very peaceful among themselves and towards other fish.
    Can keep males and females without problems.
    Can keep multiple males in the shoal without problems, they display to each other.
    Long-lived.
    They shoal well.
    They are good to watch, not boring, they interact with each other.
    Easy to feed.
    Amazing colours (of the males especially) with bright light shining on the fish.
    Freely available and relatively inexpensive to purchase a big shoal.

The only downside I was worried about was their relative lack of colour but all my family like them. I think the big eye helps. In my tank the T8 lights don't show them off the best but when the sun comes through the windows at 12pm to 2pm they shimmer with reflected light in a kaleidoscope of colour and this is something to look forward to seeing.

6. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

Thank you so much for all of the info! I am really considering it. I am concerned about the JD idea so may have to talk to the hubby about that but would def get a small one if i did and only one.

Anyone have experience keeping congos and jds?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice