Congo Tetra Stay In One Corner

toneloce2018

Member
HI all this is my first post on here so its about my congo tetra,I have 7 of them along with some catfish and some other fish in a 450 litre tank,I have white sand and plenty of plants(plastic) rocks decor ect,I'm probably answering my own question here but all fish swim about quite happily,but the congo tetras don't swim much they stay in one corner,all day,is is because of the white sand? I heard you need dark sand/gravel with these guys? when the tank lights go off they cpme away from corner ans swim about in the tank,which leads me to think is it the white sand or is the lighting too bright,its an old tank I picked up off ebay and its a jewel 450.with tube lighting which does also get quite warm,any ideas please.also they don't eat much bit all other fish do so its not the water condition.?
 

Seth15

Member
toneloce2018 said:
HI all this is my first post on here so its about my congo tetra,I have 7 of them along with some catfish and some other fish in a 450 litre tank,I have white sand and plenty of plants(plastic) rocks decor ect,I'm probably answering my own question here but all fish swim about quite happily,but the congo tetras don't swim much they stay in one corner,all day,is is because of the white sand? I heard you need dark sand/gravel with these guys? when the tank lights go off they cpme away from corner ans swim about in the tank,which leads me to think is it the white sand or is the lighting too bright,its an old tank I picked up off ebay and its a jewel 450.with tube lighting which does also get quite warm,any ideas please.also they don't eat much bit all other fish do so its not the water condition.?

Hello there and welcome



How long ago did you introduced these fish to the tank? They sound stressed. It may be that they are new additions and just need to adjust. If they are not new then something is causing them to be stressed. What are your water parameters, tank mates, and lighting schedule?


What kind of catfish? Is there anything else in the tank?
 
  • Thread Starter

toneloce2018

Member
the tank mates are some rose barbs,3 catfish and 8 other tetras which I'm not sure what they called,and 7 congo tetras,temperature is between 26-27 degrees celsius.its a fairly new cycled tank,have been using seachem stability I'm told you can cycle tanks quicker,loads of you may disagree,ive not tested water recently waiting for water test kit,so is it stress and reason they swim about more when lights are off?
 
  • Thread Starter

toneloce2018

Member
Seth15 said:
Hello there and welcome



How long ago did you introduced these fish to the tank? They sound stressed. It may be that they are new additions and just need to adjust. If they are not new then something is causing them to be stressed. What are your water parameters, tank mates, and lighting schedule?


What kind of catfish? Is there anything else in the tank?
forgot to say I had 3 congo in tank already and put another 4 of them in on satuday
 

Seth15

Member
toneloce2018 said:
the tank mates are some rose barbs,3 catfish and 8 other tetras which I'm not sure what they called,and 7 congo tetras,temperature is between 26-27 degrees celsius.its a fairly new cycled tank,have been using seachem stability I'm told you can cycle tanks quicker,loads of you may disagree,ive not tested water recently waiting for water test kit,so is it stress and reason they swim about more when lights are off?
toneloce2018 said:
forgot to say I had 3 congo in tank already and put another 4 of them in on satuday

Sounds like stress. There are relatively new to the tank. Let the congos adjust. I would also recommend testing the water when you get the kit, then we will know if the water parameters are where they should be.
 
  • Thread Starter

toneloce2018

Member
ok thanks for that,but what about the white sand and bright lighting? if they are stressed why do they start moving about when the lights go off in tank?
 

Seth15

Member
toneloce2018 said:
ok thanks for that,but what about the white sand and bright lighting? if they are stressed why do they start moving about when the lights go off in tank?
The white sand shouldn't have an affect on them. The lights may be stressing them, maybe the lights are too bright. Keep the lights off until they adjust.
 
  • Thread Starter

toneloce2018

Member
Seth15 said:
The white sand shouldn't have an affect on them. The lights may be stressing them, maybe the lights are too bright. Keep the lights off until they adjust.
Thank I will give that a try
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom