Congo Tetra Compatibility & Cleanup Crew

Axolotl Fan

HI fish keepers!
I'm deciding on how to stock my 40 gallon tank. I got it second hand and it has a huge wet-dry filter. I do weekly 10-25% water changes. I currently have:

6 neon tetras
~8 or so adolescent (1 inch long) mickey-mouse platies, some of which I plan to give to a friend.
1 zipper loach, who I had in a 10 gallon for years

I've been doing my research and I really like congo tetras, but I've seen some really mixed ideas about how compatible they are. Some say they will go after any fish smaller than them, some say they won't even look at tiny fish. If anyone has experience with these fish, I'd really like some help

Thanks!

Annie59

They are my all time favorite fish. I had them in a 75 with an angel, Bristlenose and livebearers and my cories. They never bothered any other fish in the tank. I kept 7 so not sure if they nip if only a couple in the tank.

A201

No worries. Congo's school together very nicely and aren't aggressive. Like any fish, they might eat anything small enough to fit in their mouth. It's been years since I've kept Congo Tetras, but remember them to be long lived and very easy to keep. Never noticed any predatory behavior.

Axolotl Fan

Annie59 said:
They are my all time favorite fish. I had them in a 75 with an angel, Bristlenose and livebearers and my cories. They never bothered any other fish in the tank. I kept 7 so not sure if they nip if only a couple in the tank.
I plan to keep 5 or 6 depending on how many of the mickey mouse platies I'll give away. Thanks for your help!

Axolotl Fan

HI fish-keepers!

I am deciding on how to stock my 40 gal, and I need a clean-up crew.
I currently have:

6 neon tetras
6 mickey mouse platies
1 zipper loach
and I plan to get 6 congo tetras

I don't have room for a school, so I need things that are ok on their own. I've been thinking about a siamese algae eater. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Axolotl Fan

Gourami36 said:
Nerite snails
I hadn't considered snails for fear they would breed. Thanks for your help!

Gourami36

Axolotl Fan said:
I hadn't considered snails for fear they would breed. Thanks for your help!
Nerite snail eggs don’t hatch in freshwater

Annie59

If you get them check out their teeth lol. Thy look downright evil! But they aren't

GrayRas

You could also get mystery snails. In my experience they don’t clean up quite as much as the nerites but they do their fair share. They also are larger and as such command a bigger presence in the grand scheme of your tanks visual. Far as breeding they do not lay eggs in water only above the waterline. So as long as your tank doesn’t have like a 2in gap of water you will be ok.. Although I did have one clutch laid on the underside of my lid (tank was full so mama climbed and laid eggs upside down on lid) but you can easily remove and responsibly dispose of clutches.

Redshark1

Congo Tetras can get very excited when feeding on smaller fish. Danios would be eaten by mine.

I keep mine in a 110g.

Latest threads

Top Bottom