Congo Tetra breathing strange

Amilia

I had 7 Congo tetras and I’m now down to 5 - I had one start breathing and opening and closing it mouth very quickly and now two have died. I have 2 more at the moment starting to do the same.
I went to my local fish shop who tested my water and all was normal / as it should be.
Looking for any advice

Crimson_687

which parameters did they test? Did they tell you exact levels? Did they use strip or liquid test kit?

What size is your tank? Filter? How long have you had these fish? Do you use dechlorinator? How did you acclimate them?

I would do an immediate 50% water change

Amilia

Crimson_687 said:
which parameters did they test? Did they tell you exact levels? Did they use strip or liquid test kit?

What size is your tank? Filter? How long have you had these fish? Do you use dechlorinator? How did you acclimate them?

I would do an immediate 50% water change
They tested all parameters pH / ammonia / Nitrate / nitrite. No they didn’t tell exact and it was liquid test.
215 L tank with inbuilt filter at the back of the tank. Yes I use dechlorinator and did acclimate them. Had them for a year.
I’ll do the water change today!

Crimson_687

Amilia said:
They tested all parameters pH / ammonia / Nitrate / nitrite. No they didn’t tell exact and it was liquid test.
215 L tank with inbuilt filter at the back of the tank. Yes I use dechlorinator and did acclimate them. Had them for a year.
I’ll do the water change today!
I would try to get your own test kit- strips aren’t always accurate as they can easily contaminate from water vapor.

Any reason why their gills might be infected or oxygen levels would be depleted?

Amilia

I have one and will test today - they did use the same kit that I have thought the API liquid test kit

not that I know of my tank is heavily planted and they seem to be the only ones having this issue! I haven’t put anything in the water to irritate them so I’m a little worried as one did pass

AggressiveAquatics

How long did you acclimate them? maybe they didn’t handle the transfer and new conditions very well

Crimson_687

Amilia said:
I have one and will test today - they did use the same kit that I have thought the API liquid test kit

not that I know of my tank is heavily planted and they seem to be the only ones having this issue! I haven’t put anything in the water to irritate them so I’m a little worried as one did pass
Pics? Are their gills swollen? Have you added any new fish recently? How many of them are acting strange?

You should also add an air stone. If whatever is happening makes it harder to breathe, adding oxygenation will at least help with the symptoms.

Amilia

AggressiveAquatics said:
How long did you acclimate them? maybe they didn’t handle the transfer and new conditions very well
Normally over a 40 min period
Crimson_687 said:
Pics? Are their gills swollen? Have you added any new fish recently? How many of them are acting strange?

You should also add an air stone. If whatever is happening makes it harder to breathe, adding oxygenation will at least help with the symptoms.
They don’t look swollen to me. Have not added any new fish. 2/5 are breathing in this manner at the moment.
Yes was thinking of getting my hands on one!

Fishymasters

Amilia said:
I had 7 Congo tetras and I’m now down to 5 - I had one start breathing and opening and closing it mouth very quickly and now two have died. I have 2 more at the moment starting to do the same.
I went to my local fish shop who tested my water and all was normal / as it should be.
Looking for any advice
It might be the oxygen level is somehow low. You can add a air stone to help. Hope your problem gets resolved soon

Latest threads

Top Bottom