Confusion About Wild Caught And Ph

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BeanFish, Apr 21, 2017.

1. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Everyone says that you should only care about having an exact pH with wild caught fish. While if it is captive bred it will adapt to different pHs, all of this makes me wonder:
    1- If this is true how in the world were wildcaught fish like angel fish and discus able to be kept in the past (Im talking like in the 20s when fishkeeping was supposedly primitive...)?
    2- If it was achieved by somehow giving them a good pH how were their sons able to adapt to a wider range of pH if they were still being kept at their natural pH?

I have been countless of times to many mountains, rivers and streams near where I live and I know some people in towns close to the rivers and streams so I thought it would be cool to set up some big kiddy pools or plastic tubs at my yard and try to breed wild caught fish, I was specially interested in Ameca Splendens, seeing how many times I have been to Ameca (they were thought to be extinct but a small population was found, unless I am higly outdated...)and how the fish is endangered.
    Of course I would first need to get some fundings going (AKA get a job) so this will not probably happen in the near future but I was wondering how would I go about the pH.

2. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

IMO the "wild caught" idea is a very vague, general one, especially because there are hardy wild caught fish and also sensitive ones.

Wild caught fish go through a lot before they reach the stores, which is why it is ideal to give them a ph that is close to what they are used to to minimize stress. For captive bred fish that are born into a different ph they are more easily adapted to that ph.

Ph is also a very broad topic, because there are different factors that affect ph and fish are not always bothered by all of them.

In the wild, ph in one body of water can vary a lot throughout the day. Fish do not drop dead in the wild due to ph swings. I believe the key is to introduce gradual changes.

3. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I was wondering that too, rainy/dry seasons drastically change the pH and as you say fish don't drop dead lol. Even in our aquariums, at least planted ones, the pH changes throughout the day.
    So, in the dream world were I get to catch wild fish, would a sort of saltwater-like aclimmation be enough? I think I should still measure the pH, KH and GH of both my water and the river to get an idea of what I'm dealing with right? I don't think I can get away with my no test kit approach on this one LOL

4. ZahcWell Known MemberMember

Both of my L168's are wild caught from the Rio Negro Brazil. In the wild they live in soft water with a pH of 5.5 to 7, my tank sits at 7.6, though my water is also very soft. I did drip acclimate them for 4-5 hours. They are thriving, to an extent in my water. They look beautiful, display amazing colours, and are growing well, but when it comes to breeding, I don't think I would have a chance without getting my pH into their natural range. Time will tell though.

My point is though, even wild caught fish can live slightly outside their natural water parameters, to an extent, though I wouldn't recommend it. I can definitely see how after years of being captive bred, fish can live in an even wider range.

Water hardness, and nitrates are much more important with wild caught fish imo. My fish haven't been in nitrates over 10 since being in my tank (Heavily planted, understocked and sump filter). And my KH+GH is near the same as it would be in the wild.

5. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

^this

6. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Great to hear that pH isn't that important. I don't know what my pH is... but If I had to guess I would say my water is on the harder side as it comes from a well.
    The nitrate thing is also very interesting and I forgot about that. Giving them pristine water as the one they have in the wild sure sounds important.
    Thanks for all the insight.

7. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Important - Understanding pH, KH, GH in Home Aqauriums

I only have a few wild caught specimens in relation to my stock. I prefer f1/f2's they generally have the coloration of their parents and typically are more hardy, less skiddish, and can be easily conditioned to eat a standard diet.

I'm not a fan of altering water chemistry with store bought buffers/chemicals/salts. Not only is it expensive in the long run, it can cause more problems than good if you do not keep up with it. I have not been able to unsuccessfully alter parameters through completely natural means. When the time comes I cannot replicate a biotope with the addition of natural things that are more stable imo then maybe seachem will get more of money and I'll buy one of those salts. For now I've got plenty of breeding fish in my tap water.

Low nitrates, and consistently stable water has been successful for me and I have quite a few species of fish considered sensitive, wild and captive.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  8. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I think it depends on the fishspecies and the way of acclimisation in general. One of the things is a(n extreme) low Ph prevent certain parasites / bacteria to live/survive. The fish living in there often have no natural resistance to these buggerd. This can cause issues putting these fish in a higher Ph.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice