confusing water wisteria...

shadowfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
in the link they have two different looking pics for the same plant,and mine looks like the "bunch" one,why does the "potted" plant look like a totaly different plant?
they say something about the plant looking different but i dont understand it...
in this post the water wisteria looks like the "potted" one in the link
whats up with this confusing plant??

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I have a feeling the second photo (potted) is an error. Let's get more responses.

Ken

redorchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have heard it will look different according to temperature and light
Go down the link you provided and click overview. It says grown in cold water leaves will be lobed, warmer will make them pinate

shadowfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
alink has the "potted" version of water wisteria (click the "this" in post #1) was that above water?

from what i understand the "potted" version is the same plant grown above water, and the "bunch" is the same stem under water,am i right?

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not sure but I noticed the difference too. Be assured, mine is in fact wisteria. Here's the package it came in.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

shadowfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
my water wisteria now has both types of leaves (in the same tank) for some reason...i wonder what makes the difference

mine doesnt look like the "potted" in the link tho,the "potted" in the link looks like elm tree leaves...

redorchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When my tank temp dropped below 20 degrees it started to grow lobed leaves, when the tank temp is above 20 it grows very serrated leaves

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When I took mine out of the tube, it came with very "bushy" leaves. Now the leaves look like the potted version......anyone actually know the reason why?

uncfan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The ones in the tube were grown out of water and the potted one was grown in water.....immersed vs submerged. The new leaves are the new under water growth.

shadowfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The ones in the tube were grown out of water and the potted one was grown in water.....immersed vs submerged. The new leaves are the new under water growth.

i disagree with that,mine is all underwater and its still different...

ill post pics as soon as i can

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here you can see how my wisteria plants have grown since I last posted. The old leaves have grown a lot bigger but most have died and fell off. The new leaves it has grown are the leaves on top that looks like other water wisteria. I think that is the key to this plant. It has the same scientific name, but when the common name is just wisteria, it's grown out of water and when it's water wisteria it's grown under water.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

redorchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
In the OP's website link there is a section marked overview, in there they say:

"The Wisteria, also known as the Water Wisteria, is an undemanding, extremely attractive aquarium plant. The lace-like leaves vary in appearance under different conditions. If the water is colder, they will be small, and lobed in appearance, instead of pinnate. If insufficient light is provided, they will only be slightly pinnate."

So the difference in appearance is due to lighting and temperature variations.

At the end of the article it states:

" Please Note: As its scientific name suggests (Hygrophila difformis) the shape and form of Wisteria's leaves differ greatly depending on light and aquarium conditions. When your plant order arrives, it will appear different than its mature form."

So it seems age may have something to do with it. Perhaps the bunch are propagated through cuttings, and the potted is grown from seeds.

So please don't be confused any more!

shadowfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
yes,it does say that.

but in my tank all conditions are the same (lighting,temp,water chem.) and the same plant gives out both leaves...if the above were true,then my plant would give all the same leaf type.

shadowfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ok...so i cant find my camera (again)

my wisteria is giving out the broad leaves at the bottom of the plant,so it has nothing to do with the top giving out broad leaves close to the surface...

shadowfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i was looking at this post and they were talking about the wisteria above water!
AlyeskaGirl you said on that post that temp makes a difference in the leaves (underwater) but them why does my plant give out both leaves in the same temp?

(i found my camera guys!,ill get pics soon)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom