Confusing Water Test Results

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Colomark, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Colomark

ColomarkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    i have a juvenile platty who was looking stressed so i did a water test and im confused. Everything looks pretty good but total alkalinity matches 40 (low) while ph looks like a perfect match for 7.2....this confuses me, how can i have that ph and low total alkalinity? Should i take corrective steps? The tank isnt cycled yet, i did a 20% water change yesterday with prime and today is my last dose of Stability for the 7 day course.
    Everyone else in the 29 gal. tank looks happy (bubble molly, lyretail mollies and bigger platty, 7 total fish)

Do i doanything?

2. Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +213
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What should concern you the most are ammonia, nitrites and nitrates values. What are those and what test are you using for your water parameters ?

Also, for a fish-in cycle, 20% change isn’t enough. You need to do 50%, and do it at least every 3 days, and every time your ammonia or nitrites are over 0. Every day if you have to, until your tank is cycled. Then once a week, 50% WC is good.

3. OP
    OP
    Colomark

ColomarkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    using tetra test strips. amonia nitrites and nitrates all test safe. doing daily to every other day water changes between 20 and 50% depending on test. testing pretty much twice a day for amonia and nitrates.....but my question about alkalinity remains, what am i missing?

Become a Fishlore Member