Confusing Situation: 4 dead rosy barbs with seemingly very good water levels

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ahupe13, Jul 22, 2016.

1. ahupe13

ahupe13New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hello all, I'm running a 40g breeder tank, heavily planted, well lit, aquaclear 70 filter with (now) only a pearl gourami in it, snails, and amano shrimp. I set up the tank in late May, finished cycling, added the gourami and he thrived, and continues to even after the dead rosy barbs. About two weeks ago I introduced 4 rosy barbs.

I wanted 6 for proper schooling but the store that i ordered them from said that unfortunately the batch that they ordered arrived very sick and many of them died leaving only the 4. I chose to take them anyway, hoping that they were the strongest of the bunch and I could nurse them back to health. I've ordered more since then because I have a very good relationship with the vendor and they've never let me down before this. The store guarantees that they will not sell me any more sickly fish.

After acclimating them I immediately started treatment, aquarium salt and melafix for the fin rot that was obvious. I wasn't aware of any other diseases they had since they weren't exhibiting any other apparent symptoms and it's difficult to tell because they were stressed from the journey. Over the next few days they seemed stressed, which I attributed to still being sickly (but healing, because their fins showed a lot of improvement) and not being in the correct schooling numbers. They lived seemingly okay for the few days eating and swimming around in their group, but then, they started dying one by one over the course of 3 days. I've tested the water every day since I got them and each time, save for the night before I do my weekly water change, the water tested perfectly : 0 ammonia (.25 the night before the water change), 0 nitrite/nitrate, 7.0 PH. I don't have any other tests but I've kept fish for the past few years and i've never really needed anything else (possibly until now, depending on what you guys say). The gourami is completely healthy, very active and well colored, great appetite, social...so I'm very confused. when I fished the dead fish out each time, they showed signs of ammonia poisoning. redness along the gills and body, clamped body etc.

My only theories thus far are:
    1) They never healed fully from when i got them and all eventually succumbed to some illness or stress from illness?

2) My building was doing maintenance and needed to shut the power off briefly (while I wasn't home) and supposedly the power was only off four about 1/2 hour but maybe my beneficial bacteria started dying and now my tank is cycling again and the barbs didn't make it? Although if this is the case then the cycle is not in anyway affecting my gourami? The maintenance was also at least a week before they started dying. My tank does look a bit cloudy, which isn't normal and has only happened during my cycling process.

I mostly just want some perspective because as of this moment i'm quite dumbfounded

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,064
    Experience:
    2 years
    I would think it was related to whatever the other rosy barbs died from. I wouldn't have gotten them, personally, as I'd worry that they'd pass whatever was killing them on to the pearl gourami.

I wouldn't get more rosy barbs. They're not temp compatible with your pearl.

3. OP
    OP
    ahupe13

ahupe13New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    TexasDomer I've been told by people on here that rosy barbs can be kept in cold or warmer waters, up to around 75/77 F? and pearls can be kept in 70s to mid 80s water. My tank is currently at 73F and the gourami seems happy. It's true though, I was very worried that the gourami would get what they had, but the LFS couldn't keep them any longer without me putting down a deposit and my current living situation makes it very difficult to have a quarantine tank. But yeah, i'm making excuses, i'm just glad the gourami seems to be happy and healthy still.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,064
    Experience:
    2 years
    The max temp for rosy barbs is 75 F. The low for pearls is 75 F. There's not enough overlap - you shouldn't keep fish in their extremes permanently.

Since you don't have the rosy barbs anymore, it's not an issue. Raise your temp for the pearl gourami and don't get any more cooler water fish

5. Whitewolf

WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +463
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Melafix and salt is not really a strong treatment for fish that have a bacterial infection.
    You would be better off with a real antibiotic such as one in their food