Confusing platy youngster

MissNoodle

About 5 months old. The last one I'm unsure on its sex.

I had it in with its sister and mother for the time being, but I noticed the analfin is beginning to elongate and I caught it trying to mate with its mother (kept trying to stick its fin in).

So I promptly moved it to the tank with its brothers and an adult male. One of the brothers immediately went over and mated with it.

What sex is this thing, I am so very confused by this situation.

This photo was taken last night. Note the longer analfin, turning into a point.

This photo was about 2 weeks ago, notice the difference in the analfin.

emeraldking could you explain the behaviour?

Dechi

It looks like a female to me but I’m no expert.

MissNoodle

I got a photo this morning with flash... its very active and does not sit still well

Bob79

I have no idea if it's a male or female, but I must say that is the most beautiful platy I have ever seen, love the blue shade. I have never seen this one where I live

MissNoodle

Bob79 said:
I have no idea if it's a male or female, but I must say that is the most beautiful platy I have ever seen, love the blue shade. I have never seen this one where I live
Thank you! Theyre blue mickey mouse platies.
This is mom

Sister

And brothers

And this butthead with the spots is Rocket, hes unrelated. Was hoping to breed him with the one confirmed female.

Dechi

MissNoodle said:
Theyre blue mickey mouse platies.
Do they have to have the dark spot near the tail to be called Blue Mickey mouse ? Mine is blue but no big spot, so I guess she’s just a regular blue ?

She was sold to me as a male, but a few months later she’s a female. I wonder if the guy at the store just didn’t know better or if she changed sex just like yours ? It would be strange but I’ve heard of that in animals, I don’t know about fish.

Ohhhhhh yeah !

emeraldking

MissNoodle said:
I got a photo this morning with flash... its very active and does not sit still well

Looks like the analfin starts to transform into a gonopodium. Seems male to me.

MissNoodle

emeraldking said:
Looks like the analfin starts to transform into a gonopodium. Seems male to me.
If that is the case, why would a confirmed male immediately mate with this one?
That's where I'm so confused.

Dechi said:
Do they have to have the dark spot near the tail to be called Blue Mickey mouse ? Mine is blue but no big spot, so I guess she’s just a regular blue ?

She was sold to me as a male, but a few months later she’s a female. I wonder if the guy at the store just didn’t know better or if she changed sex just like yours ? It would be strange but I’ve heard of that in animals, I don’t know about fish.

Ohhhhhh yeah !
Yeah they need the 3 spots on the tail to be considered mickey mouse.
I know young platies can take their time deciding what gender they want to be. I was able to sex the two larger siblings a month ago. Theyre all the same age but two ended up behind in development

Petchratn

Dechi said:

Ohhhhhh yeah !
I have 8 male guppies in one tank, they aren’t my favorite I don’t want more of them. They don’t live with females. They are still males the only changes I see, the sub dominated one try to hide from other by body shape changes look curvier but it’s still have the gonopodiums. And the dominant try to dance for the sub dominated ones. They all swimming fast and eager to eat so I do believe they are healthy but just try to avoid rankings by looking more plum.

emeraldking

MissNoodle said:
If that is the case, why would a confirmed male immediately mate with this one?
That's where I'm so confused.
Males (mostly dominant males) tend to try to mate with males that haven't developed a gonopodium yet, clear juvenile males (who have developed a gonopodium already) and submissive males. That's quite normal.

MissNoodle

Well. At least now I know. I may have to make room for a 4th boy in the big tank... unless he finds a home because he can't stay with his mom and sister lol

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom