Confusing Ph Of Sitting Tap Water

Fishamble

Reaction score
I gathered some rocks to use in an Aquascape. I tested them with hydrochloric acid and they passed so i soaked them in a barrel with a lid. At the same time i filled a glass with tap water.
After soaking for five days i tested the rock water, the sitting tap water and water directly from the tap using the high range ph(API master test kit).
To my surprise the sitting tap water(center) had been raised a considerable amount. The rock water had raised slightly(left).

I find this very confusing. The only explanation i can find is that the rock barrel is covered?
Is it normal for sitting water to raise this much?

IMG_4787 (1).jpg

Inactive User

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Water straight from the tap will sometimes have a high concentration of dissolved CO2. Letting it off-gas over 24 hours and achieve equilibrium with the atmosphere will generally result in a higher pH.

However, you did mention in another thread that your tap water has unusual parameters (high nitrites). There might be another latent cause for the pH adjustments, but it's hard to tell without an idea of the dissolved content.

Would you be able to share your local water quality report?

Fishamble

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Reading about these things and actually implementing them are very different.

I guess my question was, is it possible that the lid on the bin would stop the co2 from dissolving?
Both the glass of water and bin with rocks have been sitting for an equal amount of time. Which is why i was surprised when only the PH of the water in the glass was raised.
I have put aside two more glasses, one covered, to see if they vary tomorrow.
Here is a picture of the covered rocks. The lid is not airtight by any means.
IMG_4790 (2).jpg

When i copy and paste it shows the html code.
But here is a link to the latest reading 23rd of July

And this reading from december 2017 which has more parameters.

Fishamble

Reaction score
After leaving two glasses, one covered and one uncovered overnight.
From left:
Rock water,covered glass, uncovered, fresh tap.

I think I am going to go ahead and use the rocks because they don’t seem to have raised the ph.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom