confused??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by LOULOU, Apr 3, 2006.

1. LOULOUValued MemberMember

hi its emma, just going through some off the posts, this may sound and make me look stupid but what does cycling the tank mean???

2. sliderNew MemberMember

Hi emma, in laymans terms, it's establishing a colony of bactiera that will convert ammonia (fish waste) into nitrite (both highly toxic to fish) then convert nitrite into nitrate, the end product, (nitrate is also toxic at high levels), which can be diluted by water changes.
    Once a tank is cycled there should be no ammonia or nitrite present, the bacteria lives in the filter, the substrate (sand or gravel) on plants and rocks or pebbles or whatever else is in your tank, hope that helps.

3. MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

4. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

5. LOULOUValued MemberMember

thanks slider, great help, yes did all that when i got my tank, just didnt no the technical term for it. im very new at this and the pet shops in the uk are and tell you nothing. ive learnt so much from this site. e.g i have to many fish in my tank, to many males to females and wondered why all the males were fighting. you guys have been a great help. emma :-*

6. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes, one of the first things you learn when you start fishkeeping is to never trust store employees. ;)

7. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

yeah, they say to add fish in 3 days at Petsmart, that is so mean! to the fish and the poor customers, who have to deal with all these dead fish!

8. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

you said it Emma. :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice