Confused

1. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Ok, I thought I understood filters pretty well, but now after reading various threads and articles I feel like I'm more confused than ever. Could someone explain or point me to an article that can really help me get this.
    I have a Whisper 40i filter, and inside it has a plastic piece with bristle things, a mesh and carbon inside that. First, what is the bacteria growing on? Second, should I change the mesh and carbon each month? Third, should I keep any of the old mesh in, or is it all just junk?
    Hopefully that all makes sense. Thanks!

2. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

The plastic bristle holds the good bacteria. The mesh holds the carbon. Carbon cleans the water and should be replaced monthly. Is there a white filter pad as well?

3. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

um, i dont see a filter pad

4. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

So the mesh is see-through and holds carbon?

5. toosie Well Known Member Member

The dual sided mesh bag is your mechanical filter. It will catch the waste and debris. It will also house some beneficial bacteria. The activated carbon is the chemical filter media. This should be replaced monthly. Because it is enclosed in your biobag, you can slice the top of the bag and empty it's contents and replace the carbon with new rinsed activated carbon. IF you can do this, you won't throw out the beneficial bacteria that colonizes that portion of the filter. Then last but not least should be a bio foam. This will be the home for your main beneficial bacterial colony and it's purpose is to prevent a mini cycle from taking place when you do have to replace your mechanical filter media. (The bio bag). The foam will only require a rinse in a container of tank water periodically, and shouldn't have to be replaced for a really long time... until it's disintegrating and falling apart.

Here is a link that gives you some info on your type of filter. Your specific size of filter is located towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.petco.com/product/12460/Tetra-Whisper-Internal-Power-Filters.aspx

I hope this helps.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The bacteria grows on everything. Some materials can house larger quantities of bacteria because they have a higher surface area. The plastic thing is supposed to be your biomedia, but it's pretty much worthless in that department. Only the exterior can house bacteria. With ceramics, the entire volume houses bacteria.

The problem with in-tank filters is that they hold a minimal amount of media, and volume of media is the most important component of filtration.

Yes you need to change the carbon every month. That is the only thing you should change. The filter bag that it comes in can and should be reused - you just dump out the carbon and refill it with new stuff.

7. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

hmm, ok thanks a lot guys! That helps me understand a lot more. I really need to upgrade