Confused With Water Tests Api And Now Tap Waters Levels??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by PurpleRose, Apr 16, 2017.

1. PurpleRose

PurpleRose Valued Member Member

hello, I have had many questions about water tests, this time wanted to find out if I have rest my tanks BB?? I have a foam filter along with my on the back filter, as of today, last week I have done 50% to 75% PWC everyday to every other day depending on the levels.my tank has recently became cloudy and was always getting a 0ppm=0.25 ammonia reading and recently read about people getting a false positives results with API master kits because of water chemistry in tap, well my questions are how should I be dealing with my tanks levels since I can now detect ammonia levels in my tap?? I'm pretty confused now, and many have said cloudy water can be a sign of BB reseting back to 0.. I'm hopeful that's not what happened to me, my tap hasn't ever tested positive for the chemicals until today, thank you all for awnsering my silly questions my Molly/platty fish seems to be doing ok, but I want the best for her, I have been using Prime Stability and API water conditioner with stress coat.

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

I'm not really sure of your question here.

I'm guessing you mean you were previously getting no ammonia out of
    The tap but now you are? And you're concerned about adding it to your tank?

What are you nitrite and nitrate levels in the tank?

If the tank is cycled, dosing prime with a water change will detoxify the 0.25 ammo long enough for it to be used by the BB in the filter media.

3. OP
    OP
    PurpleRose

I have been running my tank since March 3rd, my biggest concern is since I didn't know my tap was showing ammonia I wasn't sure if the previous levels could have been harming my Molly with the changes..I am also worried that I might've done too many PWCs as I have done anywhere from 25% to 75% everyday to every other day, because I thought the ammonia levels were too high, that I might've accidentally and set my tank and BB back to none, ph level is 7.5 Nitrite levels are about 0.50 to 1.0ppm closest , think that's bad?? so planning to do water change not sure % thinking 50% pwc Nitrate .00 ppm, ammonia is 0.25 to 1.0... can you tell me what to do since ammonia levels are same as tap? thanks

4. MTSRandy

MTSRandy Valued Member Member

Sounds like you may not be cycled. As long as the ammonia is no higher than .25 you can dose prime and stability every day until you bb catch up. Since you have nitrite but no nitrates it sounds like your bb is not established enough yet to handle the new ammonia source. Daily water changes of 25 to 50% can be done until nitrites are at 0. In not 100% positive if the water changes are necessary unless ammonia is at .5ppm. Someone else on here may have more insight than I do but I would dose prime and stability every day for a week. Testing daily to make sure you don't get to .5ppm ammonia.

5. OP
    OP
    PurpleRose

17974714_10155255023674156_1810958909_n.jpg here's my 20 gal long with my Molly it's really cloudy right now embrassed to show my tank until it is clear but just to give you an idea what's going on,

6. OP
    OP
    PurpleRose

I have been dosing the stability for over a week same with prime for about 2 to 3 weeks, no matter how many PWCs seems just makes tank cloudier and the Ammonia stays the same, I'm trying my hardest to help out Hailey the Molly, thank you for the post. I keep shaking the bottle for 60 seconds and bang the bottle and shake it up. some still nothing, thinking of trying another test kit since I did have Nitrates before which is why I am worried I that I might've killed my BB :(

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  7. MTSRandy

That looks like a bacteria bloom. Your bb is trying to acclimate to the new ammonia source. It will go away once its reestablished.

8. OP
    OP
    PurpleRose

So this is actually good thing?? thank you, should I do 50% water change since the Nitrites are about 0.50 ? I don't want to message it up too much, I am also looking into refillable reusable filter media, my old filters look pretty bad but I'm told not to change them because of the BB.. so also wondering about that, thanks again for your advice

9. MTSRandy

What you can do is place the new behind or next to the old for 30 days then remove the old.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice