Confused with Cyanobacteria or Blue-green alage! 10 Gallon Tank 

Bettafishgal

Valued Member
Messages
259
Reaction score
93
Points
48
So, basically i've been having a very hard time trying to figure out what type of algae i had and it's been super hard to keep it from growing, so now I finally know what it is! I found a picture on the internet while browsing about betta fish. So I figured out I got Cyanobacteria and I instintly began research on trying to find out what it is, how harmful it and and how to get rid of it...

I've found this! UltraLife Blue-Green Slime Stain Remover is a product which seem's to be great and has alot of people's attention, I've tried to hand remove this alage but it grew back so I'm hoping this will do it! If anybody is a alage expert I could really use you xD

FYI: all tank's have been running for over 6 months!



Thank you to all who respond! <3


EDIT:I may have found a good anwser about it but im still open to suggestion's!
 

Rylan

Well Known Member
Messages
849
Reaction score
686
Points
138
Experience
3 years
Bettafishgal said:
So, basically i've been having a very hard time trying to figure out what type of algae i had and it's been super hard to keep it from growing, so now I finally know what it is! I found a picture on the internet while browsing about betta fish. So I figured out I got Cyanobacteria and I instintly began research on trying to find out what it is, how harmful it and and how to get rid of it...

I've found this! UltraLife Blue-Green Slime Stain Remover is a product which seem's to be great and has alot of people's attention, I've tried to hand remove this alage but it grew back so I'm hoping this will do it! If anybody is a alage expert I could really use you xD

FYI: all tank's have been running for over 6 months!



Thank you to all who respond! <3


EDIT:I may have found a good anwser about it but im still open to suggestion's!
Hi! I had to deal with this in my 10 gallon a while back.

I would continue to try other methods first. Perhaps try a blackout. As since Cyanobacteria is a bacteria and not a true algae, things that are anti-biotic or antic-bacterial can harm your beneficial bacteria in your filter.

How long are your lights on everyday?Are you using any fertilizers?

edit: also, if you don’t already have live plants you might consider some.

I fought the invasion by limiting light to 6hrs, more gravel vacuums and water changes, live plants, and the addition of an airstone.

edit 2: the other thing is even if this product works, it still doesn’t solve the underlying issues, so it could come back. Better to fix the root causes in my opinion.

The Causes and Cures of Cyanobacteria or Blue-Green Slime Algae

Removing Cyanobacteria From the Aquarium
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Bettafishgal

Valued Member
Messages
259
Reaction score
93
Points
48
Rylan said:
Hi! I had to deal with this in my 10 gallon a while back.

I would continue to try other methods first. Perhaps try a blackout. As since Cyanobacteria is a bacteria and not a true algae, things that are anti-biotic or antic-bacterial can harm your beneficial bacteria in your filter.

How long are your lights on everyday?Are you using any fertilizers?

edit: also, if you don’t already have live plants you might consider some.

I fought the invasion by limiting light to 6hrs, more gravel vacuums and water changes, live plants, and the addition of an airstone.

edit 2: the other thing is even if this product works, it still doesn’t solve the underlying issues, so it could come back. Better to fix the root causes in my opinion.

The Causes and Cures of Cyanobacteria or Blue-Green Slime Algae

Removing Cyanobacteria From the Aquarium
The light stay's on for 8 or 9 hour's a day and no I am currently use no fertilizer but the tank has two anubias,two mossball's, a cave for him to hide in and a java fern.

Now, honestly I know very little of airstone's and I wouldnt even know the first thing about them.

Okay so, worried fish parent here. Can my betta's die from this? I've heard that they could die, but only if they eat it.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the help! (Sorry if i didnt awnser your questions correctly, or if I missed something!)
 

Rylan

Well Known Member
Messages
849
Reaction score
686
Points
138
Experience
3 years
Bettafishgal said:
The light stay's on for 8 or 9 hour's a day and no I am currently use no fertilizer but the tank has two anubias,two mossball's, a cave for him to hide in and a java fern.

Now, honestly I know very little of airstone's and I wouldnt even know the first thing about them.

Okay so, worried fish parent here. Can my betta's die from this? I've heard that they could die, but only if they eat it.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the help! (Sorry if i didnt awnser your questions correctly, or if I missed something!)
Hi! Does it get quite a lot of ambient light as well? I would cut back to about 6-7 hours or so. You might be surprised at the difference that alone could make.

Not much to know about airstones :) just need the airstone, some airline tubing, an airpump and some control/check valves. It’s super easy to set up. I could walk you through it. Its really very simple.

In very extreme cases it could be dangerous to fish as the bacteria produces toxins and can also cause oxygen levels to drop.

But combined with an airstone and regular water changes it shouldn’t pose too much of a risk to your Betta.

I was able to very nearly eradicate mine with methods in the articles I linked you to.

One thing I’ve seen mentioned by others is you actually could dose fertilizers with more Nitrates in them, it’s not a method I’ve personally used, but I wouldn’t do that with the slow growing plants you have in your tank. I would however see if you can find a fast growing plant that can outcompete the cyano.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom