Confused, trying to set up first tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelleBelle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm 18 years old, and I will be going away to college at the end of August, the only type of pet they allow is a small fish bowl. I bought a 1 gallon tank with an under gravel filter, I set up the tank and filtered it for one day, then my brother (who has a very well established 55 gallon salt water reef tank) added in something to get the nitrate cycle going. After doing some research, I settled on having a single half moon male betta. I found a gorgeous one on E-bay from Thailand, the auction ends in a few hours so I need to think fast- There is much controdicting information over if I should even put a betta in a filtered tank in the first place, as well as over if a betta can or cannot be placed in a cycling tank. My mom has a 30 gallon established tank that has only one surviving danio after a mass death due to new tank syndrome. So, I'm wondering: should I
a) turn of the filtering in my tank, dump out the water, fill it back up, and go filterless?
b) Wait for the cycling to finish (Maybe add some tank water from the 30g) and meanwhile keep my fish in a bowl (I read that half moons, with their long fins, have difficulty in water with a current)
c) just add the betta to the tank when it comes, even though it is still cycling.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to the site!

If your moms tank has a mass die off due to new tank syndrome, then it's not established.

Bettas need a filter and a heater, and IMO more than 1 gallon. 5 gallon tanks are ideal.

I know you are on a time limit and have to act fast, but I think you should hoild of and do more research before buying this fish. There is A LOT of info on keeping bettas here on the site. Please read it before you buy one.

OP
D

DelleBelle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for your fast reply, the die off was a really long time ago, probably close to a year, if not more. She became discouraged and didn't buy any new fish, she just cares for the danio. i will purchase a heater, and I can't get a bigger tank, only small ones are allowed in the dorm. My mom kept a betta in a bowl for several years, what I've read says bettas are stressed out by the current, especially ones with larger fins, such as half moons. I'm leaning towards keeping the betta in the old betta bowl we have until this tank cycles, but I'm concerned about the large fin, water current issue.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I saw a Betta in a wine glass once at a nail place my wife goes to and it looked pretty cruel, but it was healthy I'm not sure how he managed to keep it healthy. (I don't think it's a good idea IMO) I Agree with Jaysee 2 1/2 Gallon min. I had mine in a 5 gallon.

OP
D

DelleBelle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unfortunately upgrading to a 5 gallon tank isn't an option, it's too large to keep in a small dorm room. I took the danio from the big tank and I have him in a baggie floating at the top of my small tank to avoid temperature shock. My plan as of right now is to use the danio to help cycle the tank, the bit of water from the other tank should help some too. I'll keep the Betta in a large bowl until the tank has completely cycled, and move him over. I'm still reading up and researching, but that is my current plan.

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi There:

I wouldn't put the danio in your new tank to cycle it. Also, UGF are extremely inefficient from what I read on here and may even threaten the life of your betta.

As for the 5G tank, I would recommend this size as well. I understand you're going away to college, but all of my 5G tanks I currently have would have fit in any of the dorm rooms I lived in over the years. At the very least, I would ask you look into purchasing one of the 2.5 or 3G plastic tank kits you can get at most major retailers (Walmart, Petco, Petsmart) that allow for a small filter and a heater. You need both to keep a healthy betta.

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, i'd say get a 2.5 with a filter/small heater for your betta, and get a filter that has adjustable flow if you're worried about the current being too much.

rae64

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
+1 to the above advice.

If you are going to spend the kind of money you will have to on an imported fish, you are better off getting him what he needs. 2.5 gallons is the minimum betta tank size, and trust me, they are little. I do not think you would have any problem fitting one in a dorm room. A 5 gallon will probably be fine in a dorm too, they are much smaller than they seem. I have just an acrylic 2.5 from petsmart (not brand name, does not come in a box) that only ran me about $15 You will also need a filter, Azoo palm filters or a whisper 3i would be a good low flow choice. These will likely only cos you 15 dollars or so as well. Finally, a small heater such as a Marineland Stealth Mini (the best IMO) will make your betta one happy camper.

As far as cycling, just drop a piece of shrimp in your tank instead of the danio, add some gravel from an established tank, and let it run until you are cycled. Then you can get your fish, and remove thee shrimp when you add him in. This way you are saving the danio the pain of cycling. Plus, it is faster

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also going to agree with all said above. Also, I don't think that doing 100% water changes everyday for an uncycled tank is really something *I'd* want to deal with in general, much less if I were in or just starting college. That fish is liable to live for the entire duration of your college career if he's well kept, after all. I just think weekly maintenance would be far more doable (in a 2.5g+ cycled tank) than the alternative.

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yeah, i can only manage one gallon tanks right now, but theyre petsmart veiltails so theyre already probably old. But if i were to import i'd definetly pay for a better tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom