Confused on HOB or internal canister

Narnia4FishLife

Hello, people of Fishlore!
I have another question for you guys today. I was considering my options for a filter for a turtle. NOW, don't harass me because I'm on a fish forum and am asking questions on a turtle. Filter options are practically the same but turtles make more ammonia or poop. I don't have enough money or space for a canister so my options are an HOB or an internal canister. I'm looking for a filter in the $20-$40 range. I considered the Fluval U3 for my 29-gallon musk turtle. (Internal Canister) or Tetra Whisper EX. The general rule of thumb is 2-3 times filter power for the size of your tank. So 30 gallons would need about 70 gallons of water filter power.
(Internal)
(HOB)
The only thing I am scared of is when I am gone on vacation and evaporation happens, the filters won't literally die. I understand that evaporation is normal but that is the only concern. No sponge filters btw because turtles will chomp on them and I have sand substrate. So please help.

david1978

We love all aquatic pets. We even give advice on fixing vacuums on here. Personally I have never been a fan of internal filters. To me they take up too much space. Not a whisper fan too much either. I use aquaclears. Not sure the price difference between the whisper and an aq 50. In a week or 2 time evaporation won't be an issue with any hang on filter.

Narnia4FishLife

We love all aquatic pets. We even give advice on fixing vacuums on here. Personally I have never been a fan of internal filters. To me they take up too much space. Not a whisper fan too much either. I use aquaclears. Not sure the price difference between the whisper and an aq 50. In a week or 2 time evaporation won't be an issue with any hang on filter.
No need for aq70 right?

david1978

I have a 50 for my 29. Even stuffed with guppies it kept up. I have 70's for my 55's.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Redviper
Replies
Views
Daeraizover
  • Question
Replies
Views
JEGuerra