Confused on HOB or internal canister

Narnia4FishLife

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, people of Fishlore!
I have another question for you guys today. I was considering my options for a filter for a turtle. NOW, don't harass me because I'm on a fish forum and am asking questions on a turtle. Filter options are practically the same but turtles make more ammonia or poop. I don't have enough money or space for a canister so my options are an HOB or an internal canister. I'm looking for a filter in the $20-$40 range. I considered the Fluval U3 for my 29-gallon musk turtle. (Internal Canister) or Tetra Whisper EX. The general rule of thumb is 2-3 times filter power for the size of your tank. So 30 gallons would need about 70 gallons of water filter power.
(Internal)
(HOB)
The only thing I am scared of is when I am gone on vacation and evaporation happens, the filters won't literally die. I understand that evaporation is normal but that is the only concern. No sponge filters btw because turtles will chomp on them and I have sand substrate. So please help.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We love all aquatic pets. We even give advice on fixing vacuums on here. Personally I have never been a fan of internal filters. To me they take up too much space. Not a whisper fan too much either. I use aquaclears. Not sure the price difference between the whisper and an aq 50. In a week or 2 time evaporation won't be an issue with any hang on filter.

OP
N

Narnia4FishLife

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
We love all aquatic pets. We even give advice on fixing vacuums on here. Personally I have never been a fan of internal filters. To me they take up too much space. Not a whisper fan too much either. I use aquaclears. Not sure the price difference between the whisper and an aq 50. In a week or 2 time evaporation won't be an issue with any hang on filter.
No need for aq70 right?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 50 for my 29. Even stuffed with guppies it kept up. I have 70's for my 55's.

New Threads