Confused-need Help With Betta

Speedy

Hello Everybody,
I'm confused on why my betta is acting the way he is. I will explain. I bought my first betta about 2 months ago I believe. He went in a 3 gallon quarantine tank and had came down with ick and it was because the light I think was heating up the tank causing the temp to go up and down. Anyway I treated him for it and got that taken care of and he became his old self again swimming around all over the place and loving life outside of that stupid cup he came in. He looked so happy and healthy. He was in there over a month I was making sure he was fine. He was, so I wanted to get him a new 10 gallon half moon aquarium where he could have lots of room but he hates it all he did in there was lay around not swimming at all and lost his color he looks darker and at first I thought maybe he was lonely but I'm not sure if fish can get lonely so I thought why does he not like this tank. It has a real piece of wood,black and green rocks as substrate, silk plants, betta hammock and floating log with floating plants ect. I thought I got everything he would love but boy was I wrong. It also has a heater and filter with very low current and very light bubbles. So now I don't know what to do he was in the 10 gallon for about 2 months. He is now back in his 3 gallon happy as every except he still is a darker color then he was when I bought him at petsmart. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Can a betta get lonely?

The Rover

Not sure what the problem is as I don't know the parameters of your water so can't say if it was a water issue. I have a betta that I move to a 10 gallon and he wasn't all that happy. Had tank mates and did fine with them (wasn't aggressive), but seems stressed (had come from a 5g). No scientific proof but I think the larger open areas can make them stressed. I moved my guy to a 3.5g by himself and he's doing great. Flares at me and seems much happier.

I don't think bettas get lonely. They don't like other fish most of the time and some don't like anything in their tanks like snails, shrimp, etc. They are solo in the wild and have their territory so I doubt he's lonely. If you have good water parameters, keep your temp is 78-80, feed quality food and do regular water changes then he should be fine. They can be lazy and lay around on top of plants and leaves, which I guess could be mistaken for being sad.

If you are doing all the right things and he's not sick or anything like that he should bounce back.

Fishlover832

I would wait it out and see if things get better. Sometimes it's just the change to a new environment, other times there's lots of ammonia or whatever. I would only be worried if he gets worse over time.

Speedy

Not sure what the problem is as I don't know the parameters of your water so can't say if it was a water issue. I have a betta that I move to a 10 gallon and he wasn't all that happy. Had tank mates and did fine with them (wasn't aggressive), but seems stressed (had come from a 5g). No scientific proof but I think the larger open areas can make them stressed. I moved my guy to a 3.5g by himself and he's doing great. Flares at me and seems much happier.

I don't think bettas get lonely. They don't like other fish most of the time and some don't like anything in their tanks like snails, shrimp, etc. They are solo in the wild and have their territory so I doubt he's lonely. If you have good water parameters, keep your temp is 78-80, feed quality food and do regular water changes then he should be fine. They can be lazy and lay around on top of plants and leaves, which I guess could be mistaken for being sad.

If you are doing all the right things and he's not sick or anything like that he should bounce back.
Hello rover, the temp in both tanks are kept around 80 and neither of the tanks are cycled. With just one betta it takes a long time haven't even got any ammonia readings in either tank yet. I think I will try again with him with some tankmates. But I will have to put the betta back in the 10 gallon so I can quarantine the new fish.

Speedy

I would wait it out and see if things get better. Sometimes it's just the change to a new environment, other times there's lots of ammonia or whatever. I would only be worried if he gets worse over time.

Speedy

HI fishlover, I'm going to try it again when I figured out what tank mates to try with him. I'm also going to use tetra safe start to kick start the cycle.

Adriifu

Can we get a picture of the fish and layouts of both tanks?
What are your water parameters?

Speedy

Hello adriifu, there are no reading to give in each tank they both haven't even started the cycling process, and the quarantine probably will not be cycled at all because I don't keep it cycled because I usually kill it off anyway with meds. I will check the ph and copper levels and see if there is a problem there. Here is a picture of him and the food I'm feeding him I'm also going to be getting some bloodworms for him. I also added a picture of the 10 gallon and the 3 gallon quarantine tank.

Attachments

• 20171205_175412.jpg
    20171205_175412.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20171205_175253.jpg
    20171205_175253.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 20171026_185524.jpg
    20171026_185524.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20170813_190423.jpg
    20170813_190423.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 66

Adriifu

Looks like he's just stressed out from environmental changes. You should just keep him in the smaller tank if that's what he currently prefers. You may also want to cycle your tanks before purchasing fish.

The Rover

Pretty fish and tanks! My personal opinion is that bettas as pretty hardy and adaptable so I wouldn't stress about behaviors in the short-term after you move him to a different tank. I would make sure that the PH is similar in each tank or take more time to make sure to acclimate him. He's going to be fine in either tank. I don't remember what his tank mates were/are but remember they are just fine by themselves. They actually prefer it so making sure he gets along with others is probably the biggest issue (as long as he doesn't have any health issues of course).

If you want him in the bigger tank, he will adapt and do just fine. Conversely, if you would rather have him in the smaller tank then do that. I wouldn't (and I think you already said you won't) keep him in a QT tank while you are quarantining other fish.

Speedy

Looks like he's just stressed out from environmental changes. You should just keep him in the smaller tank if that's what he currently prefers. You may also want to cycle your tanks before purchasing fish.
The bad news is the tank he's in is my quarantine tank. I will have to put him back in the 10 gallon so I can quarantine my new fish. I was trying to get the 10 gallon cycled with the betta and the tetra safe start that I have already bought but it will not work without any ammonia in the tank so that is why it's not cycled. I will not be cycling my 3 gallon because like I said it is a quarantine tank I have already wasted a bottle of safe start on it and I don't think it is a good idea to cycle it sense it would be a waste of time unless I already had some seeded media from a established tank that I do not have. I tested water again in both tanks no readings of any ammonia,nitrite or nitrates. The ph in both tanks are 7.6 and no copper readings either. So it looks like both tanks have the same water readings. If he still doesn't like the 10 gallon tank or new fish I will put the betta back in his 3 gallon for keeps after quarantine is over for the other fish. Thanks for trying to help.

Speedy

Pretty fish and tanks! My personal opinion is that bettas as pretty hardy and adaptable so I wouldn't stress about behaviors in the short-term after you move him to a different tank. I would make sure that the PH is similar in each tank or take more time to make sure to acclimate him. He's going to be fine in either tank. I don't remember what his tank mates were/are but remember they are just fine by themselves. They actually prefer it so making sure he gets along with others is probably the biggest issue (as long as he doesn't have any health issues of course).

If you want him in the bigger tank, he will adapt and do just fine. Conversely, if you would rather have him in the smaller tank then do that. I wouldn't (and I think you already said you won't) keep him in a QT tank while you are quarantining other fish.
Thanks rover, just to make sure I tested everything again the water in both tanks read the same. I guess he is just one of those special bettas.

The Rover

Good. At least that makes that part easier. He'll be fine in either tank. Just give him time. The tank mates will be your biggest issue and since he will have been the first one in the 10 gallon he's going to view that as his territory so watch closely for aggression or stress and then just be ready to move him over to the 3 gallon if he's not compatible.

Good luck

Speedy

Good. At least that makes that part easier. He'll be fine in either tank. Just give him time. The tank mates will be your biggest issue and since he will have been the first one in the 10 gallon he's going to view that as his territory so watch closely for aggression or stress and then just be ready to move him over to the 3 gallon if he's not compatible.

Good luck
Thanks, it's worth a try anyway. Yeah I was trying to avoid that but I decided at that time he was going to be on the 10 gallon alone but then the more I have been watching him he might be a betta that would like being with other fish or at least tallorate it. So I will let you know what happens. Thanks again

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jillian1010
Replies
Views
FrostedFlakes
Replies
Views
Coolbeans5
Replies
Views