10 Gallon Tank Confused: lighting for a few low-light plants?

PurpleFish

I need help:
I bought a new Aqueon 10g kit for home () and thought I’d try a couple low-light live plants, maybe Java ferns. I’m thinking to stock it with about 9 ember tetra or 6 cardinals, after it’s built and fully cycled.

I’ve been reading around on here but am really confused with what to look for in a light. Since I’m a newbie and these will be my first plants, I don’t want to spend too much money tho.

Questions…
1) Will an LED light work? If so, how do I tell which ones are for plants?
2) Are there ones that will work with the hood my tank came with? The hood doesn’t have a slot for a new one and the lights it came with are just three groups of three LED bulbs (doubt they would be enough!). But I’m fine with DIYing a light onto the underside of the lid if that’s possible or a good idea…???

FinalFins

Almost all LED light fixtures on the market will grow most low-medium light plants very well.

The "which ones are for plants" question is a bit complicated. All aquarium dedicated LED light strips will grow plants fine. But there are some on the market that are better, and some that are worse. Just because it is labeled 'planted tank' doesn't mean it is the best for a planted tank with your needs. I grow aquatic plants with a cheap terrestrial grow light.. and the same plants grow fine with aquarium dedicated light strips.Plants are very versatile in where you can supply the light source. You usually want to be looking at the PAR or wattage.

I have one of those tank kits. Granted it is Top Fin, not Aqueon but the 3 single LED units won't grow plants other than the most low light plants. I strongly encourage investing in a LED fixture if you want to expand beyond java fern. I would be more than happy to recommend a few.

PurpleFish

Almost all LED light fixtures on the market will grow most low-medium light plants very well.

The "which ones are for plants" question is a bit complicated. All aquarium dedicated LED light strips will grow plants fine. But there are some on the market that are better, and some that are worse. Just because it is labeled 'planted tank' doesn't mean it is the best for a planted tank with your needs. I grow aquatic plants with a cheap terrestrial grow light.. and the same plants grow fine with aquarium dedicated light strips.Plants are very versatile in where you can supply the light source. You usually want to be looking at the PAR or wattage.

I have one of those tank kits. Granted it is Top Fin, not Aqueon but the 3 single LED units won't grow plants other than the most low light plants. I strongly encourage investing in a LED fixture if you want to expand beyond java fern. I would be more than happy to recommend a few.
Thanks for that explanation! It was just what I needed. Seems like the basic one I bought might be enough for just 1-2 Java ferns. Enough for me right now as I’m still learning how to care well for the fish.
Thanks for those recommendations! I put them on my wish list. When school starts my Wildlife class will be learning how to care for the fish. From that, my students may decide to do some live plants. Then I’ll spend some more money. Until then I’ll try out what I have and gain some experience to be able to help them in what to try in their tank. I have one 10g in my classroom and a new one to set up at home. Thinking to put the new hood on the classroom tank until the students learn to respect the tank and not drop stuff into it. That lets me take the glass cover home to use my new light with the Java ferns. Sorry, that was a train of thought response

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
oldsalt777
Replies
Views
barbiespoodle
Replies
Views
TLeTourneau
Replies
Views