Confused leaking or evaporation

1. Taitertot Member Member

So I found a 30 gallon tank outside my garbage with everything heater filter lights etc. so I thought it was good to go to start cycling, minus cleaning and running some tests. Due to it being dirty, it looked like the last point it had water it was at about 2/3 but I think that was because it want being used, but previously used for fish because of everything with it.
    Day 1 cleaned it and put it on paper towels in the bath tub to check for any signs of leaking. After 8 hours there was no sign whatsoever, not even a drop.
    Day 2 morning, just in case, put a light later of silicon on the edges. Figured out the filter didn't work.
    Day 3 Silicon dried but no stand yet so put it on a carpet, filled it up, splashed everywhere and a lot trying to get the filter to work. Bought a new filter, filled the tank to the plastic rim once I put the new filter in.
    Day 4 water level has gone down at least an inch over night. That night was also typical Minnesota going from super humid to not very humid. It is also damp-wet around the tank.
    This 30 gallon also has a glass top on it and my 10 gallon which I topped off, has no cover at all, and know doesn't leak, went down about 3/4 of an inch. Still trying to figure out why the 30 went down a little over an inch and still has water around it, I poured water on the carpet in a different room to compare the drying.
    Day 5 test spot of water has dried almost completely but can still feel water. Wetness around the tank is only slightly drier than it was yesterday. The water level in the 30 gallon hasn't changed at all not even an 1/8 of an inch.
    So I have no idea what's going on.
    Any input?

2. TJBender Well Known Member Member

That's a leak, imo. The wet floor is a dead giveaway. I'd recommend emptying the tank out and putting down some towels with weight on them to wick up the water.

3. dakota Member Member

New silicon usually will not completly stick to old silicon especially on an older tank. There are instructions online on how to reseal a tank (Google it resealing aquarium tanks). Its not a big process this is the only way to do it correct. Thats probally why someone threw it away because of a leak and who knows what was in the tank???
    Thanks

Clean Water means Happy Fish

4. Taitertot Member Member

I think I might leave it sit for a week and see if leaks anymore then do a proper reseal when I empty it to put it on a stand. It's usually anyones guess as to the last inhabitants but there is a bunch of cheesy aquarium style decorations that were left in it and a little bit of ugly neon gravel so I kinda assumed fish. gonna research how to reseal it this time, but does that usually involve pulling off the old silicon?

5. dakota Member Member

Yes the old silicon will have to be removed. It involves using a razor single edge razor blade carefully removing the silicon and not getting the blade cutting into the area between where the sections of glass are sealed together. This is no problem if you take your time. Some of the instructions online show pictures strp by step. If I use silicone I use GE #1 silicone it has no additives and its safe for aquariums. The small tubes most LFS sell or online stores is the same thing. If you do do it you will need the large caulking tube size the small tubes are not enough sealant.Thanks

Clean Water = Happy Fish

6. Taitertot Member Member

I think I figured out the problem. When I filled it up all the way some water must have leaked out the plastic rim at the top. And the rest would probably have been from evaporation due to the crazy changes in humidity that night. Since that day everything has completely dried around the tank. So I don't think I'm gonna redo the sealing cause it seems like a lot of work for a problem I don't think I have anymore, and I'd probably screw it all up

7. dakota Member Member

Good deal you saved yourself some work. I fill all my tanks to where the water is about 1/4 inch from touching the black frame inside the tank and you should not have a problem. Thanks

Clean Water = Happy Fish

8. Taitertot Member Member

Hahaha I actually figured it out for sure now. So I thought I was gonna be smart and avoid any vibration noise the filter would make so when I put the new filter on to start cycling I put paper towels in between it an the rim. So when I just filled it up again and there was water on the floor the next day I started investigating and realized I put paper towels there. They were soaked and dripping on the floor. Where bottom of the paper towel was in the tank was actually the exact level where the water stopped draining out. I'm so stupid.

9. dakota Member Member

Believe me we all sometimes learn the hard way and sometimes its not fun. You are not stupid its the learning curve at its best. Glad you figured it out. Thanks

Clean Water = Happy Healthy Fish