Confused Help Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Vbvenom, Apr 23, 2018.

1. VbvenomNew MemberMember

I have this I think its a 55 gal tank. A week ago I put water in it no pump or filter no fish. The water really hazy. I'm not shot if I put a filter in it and pump and fish if emonea will spike. The rock are from out side as well as grass. Umm what's my next move what should I do I'm eager to get fish. I plan to use standard creek fish. I want it to resemble a sandy creek.

Its a coffee table frame I build before any one asks

I took the wooden piece out

Attached Files:

2. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

This aquarium volume calculator may help:  

Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is? If not, I'd suggest reading up on it to familiarize yourself.

In a lot of cases, the fish from your local creeks do get big so research throughly to make sure they make suitable choices.

3. VbvenomNew MemberMember

Omg yes and yes no they don't get very big its a 50 or 55 gallon.I'm a very avid fisherman this is why my choosing I grew up literally in a creek. The cycle can happen natural with no fish I'm assuming I just don't know when. Or what to look for. The wood was growing algea so. I'm assuming get a filter run it for 2 days then add fish.

4. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

No, bacteria in the filter will only build up if an ammonia source is present - when the bacteria can convert a large amount of ammonia in a 24 period it is considered cycled.

To cycle the tank, you need a test kit and a ammonia source - we reccomend ammonium chloride instead of using live fish, since ammonia is toxic. You dose the ammonium chloride until its around 4ppm. Over a few days/weeks, bacteria will build up and convert the ammonia to nitrite - this is less toxic, but still deadly. It's important that you continue to dose ammonia so its 4ppm during this cycle, so you dont loose the ammonia converting bacteria.

Anyway, the nitrites will be converted to nitrates, which can be a few days/weeks until you see nitrates occur.

Once cycled, the bacteria in the filter should be able to convert 4ppm ammonia to nitrate in 24 hours. Once this occurs, you can then add fish.

5. Phish24/7New MemberMember

The nitrogen cycle typically takes two to three weeks and typically the nitrogen cycle causes the water to turn cloudy at it'll go away after a bit so you should be fine . You should probably get whatever kind of filter you're going to use set up sooner rather than later because it's a big part of how the nitrogen cycle works in the home Aquarium And considering you're catching fish out of your creek there's probably a decent current so I would recommend probably getting a powerhead of some kind to add some current to the water.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  6. VbvenomNew MemberMember

The only way to get the good bacteria is in a filter? As the water moves. Then why the bloom just algea? The algea dous nothing? What dous the algea feed off of? Aren't there good bacteria natural to the land like in plants and on rocks such things I put in my tank nothing is store bought exept the sand and it was out door sand from Lowe's.

You do have a point about the current uhhg money is tight I just want to finish my project. I think a filter and pump or combo will get me were I need to b. I don't think current will matter iv kept minnows in every thing there hardy creatures besides I will be adding a fee ordinary fish of same size.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  7. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

That, fish food- thats never a good idea, to fiddly and prone to problems- and the fish itself - daily frequent waterchanges to reduce ammonia and nitrite burns.

Algae blooms when there is a large amount of ferts available. If there was no fish - just snails - it would probably be fine with just the algae, but fish produce a lot of waste and no amount of algae will help reduce this in the aquarium.

Good bacteria on land will not survive underwater.... so no, its pointless.

They hardy, but not indestructible. They come from areas of fast flowing, cool steams and it should be replicated to keep them happy.

8. Phish24/7New MemberMember

Yeah I totally get it, current isn't like a super big deal in the short-term, just keep it in mind as future reference. If you keeping things like minnows they shouldn't care too much about extra current the current from the filter should suffice.

9. VbvenomNew MemberMember

I'm just supper worried about the cycle working so the fish don't die. I'm not using a heater to replicate the colder natural water. I'm trying to go all natural to reproduce a creek.

10. Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

you've been given excellent advice from @aussieJJDude

here's a quick summary to help you understand what it took me months to figure out myself

put simply, your fish poo. that poo breaks down into ammonia which is toxic to fish. imagine breathing your own poo. in an aquarium it is a closed system unlike in the wild. so it's up to us fish keepers to deal with that so the fish are healthy.

your beneficial bacteria live in your filter media. you really really need a filter to cultivate them.

one type of bacteria eat the ammonia. those bacteria then poo and create nitrite. nitrite is also very toxic to fish.

a second type of bacteria (nitrobacter) start growing. these guys grow more slowly but they eat nitrite. when nitrobacter poo, they produce nitrate. nitrate is less toxic & perfectly safe for fish until it gets higher than 20-40 ppm. you remove nitrates when you do weekly water changes. most of us keep nitrates below 20ppm.

I hope that makes sense?

the way you test your levels is test kits like the API freshwater master test kit.

so you'll need a filter, an airpump, the test kit and an ammonia source to start your cycle fishless

11. VbvenomNew MemberMember

Guess in all I don't know what I'm doing and I have no tester nore know how to tell when to add fish. Or if the clodyness will go away on its own.

Omg why every one repeating your self. Respectfully I'm a supper nerd I know about ammonia, nitrites, nitrates the cycle all that jazz lol. I'm looking for advice from understanding. A tanks chemistry and substrait has Alot to do with the "cycle" there are 3 different ways to produce a cycle I just want my tank to cycle and understand were in the cycle I am and how the water will clear and when to add fish

Changing to much water can brake the cycle or prolong it but I'm not liking the cloudyness. Am I better off taking all water out of it till I get a pump and filter or am I Atleast contributing something to the cycle right now with no pump or filter. I did filter it by hand for an hour last night I'm guessing I filtered 75% of the water

I do want to say thanks for the help I need emonia starter pump filter and test kit agreed

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  12. Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

sorry for the repeats... you asked for help. good luck mate :)

13. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

As a super nerd you wpuld know how to cycle a tank and not ask the easy questions... if you dont want help, then this isn't the place for you as everyone here is extremely helpful and offer their advise.

Regardless, if you dont want advise and know what your doing... best of luck mate, and hope the fish do well.

14. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Wow that's really cool. Very nice idea. Now I'm looking threw my house trying to find things to turn into tanks, thanx hahaha

15. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

If you're not adding ammonia, there will be no cycle.
    Did you wash the sand before you put it in?
    Also, water changes don't hurt the cycle IF you have a filter because it won't be taking the bacteria out of the filter.
    The length of a cycle cannot be judged by cloudiness.
    And what do you mean "filtered by hand"?
    Also you will be able to find ammonia products off of Amazon or something much easier if you spell it "ammonia" instead of "emonia" since emonia doesn't exist. I believe many people recommend Dr. Tim's. Also, you can't actually cycle a tank with this without a testing kit (use API freshwater master kit) as you won't be able to measure the proper amount of ammonia you're adding or how fast it process. And people are repeating themselves because you seem to have a misunderstanding you're hanging onto. We can help you here with the proper information, and good luck, this sounds like a fun project.

16. VbvenomNew MemberMember

Thank you me rose and rtessy sorry for mis spelling I hate typing on phones. Thanks who ever is was that insulted my intellect. I guess I should be honest I know more about the cycle than the person that commented that. You sound ignorant assuming someone else's intellect.knowing and doing are two different things. I can study rocket science know all there is to know about building rockets but if I never built one how good a chance would I stand. You think every apollo mission was a brilliant sucess? Iv never had a fish tank ever in my life nore ever cycled one nore ever seen a nitrite under a microscope. I shore would love to. Reading is different than practice.

17. ASHLEY R COOKWell Known MemberMember

Everyone here is trying to help you :)
    Just remember. You cannot cycle without a filter and you cannot cycle without an ammonia source. If you go with bottled ammonia make sure it's pure and has no scents or soaps.
    It takes time and test patience but ammonia is highly toxic to fish and builds up super fast in aquariums.
    In the wild they have 100s and 1000s of gallons to dilute and also millions of years of bacteria growing to help keep the water livable.
    I'm in the process of cycling my first tank so I'm no expert but this forum has helped tremendously.

18. Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

i just want to say that my post to explain the cycle was about what you see as a fish keeper in your aquarium at the most simple level - it's not meant to insult anyone's intelligence or knowledge. it's meant to be the simplest possible way i know how to explain what you see when you keep an aquarium.

most of us on here learned what we know through this forum, our own deadly mistakes and other online research. most people come to this forum knowing very little so i try not to assume any particular level of understanding so that when i reply, my answer is helpful. just last week i had a young Fishlore member who asked me to take it down another level ...which shocked me because i didn't realise i had learned this stuff in my relatively short time keeping fish to anything more than a beginner level :)

from what i've seen, very few people on here judge others' intelligence or knowledge when they ask for help. we just want to help and make sure the fish are healthy and the keepers enjoy them. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice