Confused - Guppy Births

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Nicola1980, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Nicola1980

Nicola1980 Valued Member Member

Hi again all. So I posted a while back (maybe 10 days) when I thought my girls were going to have their fry but still nothing. I'm more than sure they have been pregnant for about 6 weeks now. Is this normal or could it be something else? Thankyou 8fb51cb441bdcd83d0047751898fa440.jpg

2. Faris101

Faris101 Valued Member Member

this is normal
    Have you seen her being inactive for a while possibly not eating sometimes too?
    When my guppy was about to give birth it hovered around a specific spot till it gave birth

3. OP
    OP
    Nicola1980

They both still love to eat. Occasionally, and for the past few days or so, one has been hiding in a cave for short periods and the other amongst the floating plants but they just appear exactly the same when the come out. Swimming happily and eating plenty

4. Faris101

Faris101 Valued Member Member

Their bellies do look big and their gravid spot is quite dark too keep your eye on them maybe they might give birth soon

3ac26817fe555dc9921b87e97eda1b95.jpg

The grey one just gave birth 5 days ago this is how their belly should look after they give birth

5. OP
    OP
    Nicola1980

I'm hoping so. Sometimes the Gravid spots look as though they have a pinky tinge to them

Beautiful fish Faris101. They are far from that slim at the moment

6. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

The one on the right appears to be squaring off, the one on the left seems to have a bit of time left... how are you approximating the 6wks?

Edited...I switch my left right :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    Nicola1980

They have both been that size for that long. Some days they both have a square shape but then it goes and comes back. The one on the right looks more boxed than the other this morning ed6c223fde48f8a08afe241e875089d6.jpg

8. Supreme Sawk

Supreme Sawk Valued Member Member

Perhaps they are very very very slowly (it's rare but not unheard of) giving birth but they are eating the fry before you notice them? I don't know, I've had one do this before (go boxy but then go back to rounded, she gave birth the day after going back to rounded) but I never found the cause. Perhaps it looks like they are boxy just after you feed them because they are full and it's mistaken for boxyness? All of my guppies look pretty boxy for about an hour or so after they are fed.

Also, what's your tank temperature? The cooler it is the longer the gestation period will be.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  9. OP
    OP
    Nicola1980

The temperature hovers between 26-27 Celsius. One looked boxed this morning before I fed her. I'm just debating on whether or not I should put them back in the community tank as they have been on their own for over two weeks now or leave them a little longer

10. Supreme Sawk

Hmm, at that temperature they should really be having gestation periods of 18-25 days. Perhaps the fry they have been carrying keep dying and they keep getting re-fertilised by the sperm they are carrying? Although unlikely I know some fish can carry faulty genetics (especially if they have been inbred) that can kill the fry while they are still developing in the mother. If the fry keep dying inside the mother then new eggs will be continuously fertilised and you can get multiple pregnancies happening at once in theory. If a brood dies every few days then you get a new late pregnancy and hence boxyness every few days as well, which could explain the effect you are seeing. Perhaps since the fry died during pregnancy the female who was carrying them passed the dead and undeveloped fry/eggs and the two females ate them, and you don't see any of it.

What are your water parameters? Bad water parameters can slow and even stop pregnancies, when I had a nitrite issue none of the females became pregnant during that time, the only births during that time were from females who were impregnated before the nitrite issue. I had no new pregnancies for about two weeks. Most of them are heavily pregnant at this point, and two of them gave birth in the last week. Proves my point, because they obviously both became pregnant at very similar times after the nitrite issue ended. Anyway, I'll leave you to it now.

11. OP
    OP
    Nicola1980

Thanks. This all sounds logical. Strange though, they both seem happy and don't appear to have any other issues.
    Parameters are:
    Ammonia 0
    pH 7.5
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates 10ppm

12. Supreme Sawk

Those are pretty much perfect parameters, so it can't be that. I'd just put them back in the main tank with the others, they obviously aren't going to give birth to any fry and need to be fertilised again. It could be the male they were fertilised by that is carrying a faulty gene, and nothing to do with the mothers. Like I said, I think it's time to return them to their home.

13. OP
    OP
    Nicola1980

Thanks for your help. I'll do just that

14. Supreme Sawk

No problem. Try having a different male fertilise them if you can, it could make all the difference, as like I said it could be and probably is the father that is carrying a faulty gene that is killing the fry.

15. OP
    OP
    Nicola1980

I had only one male for three females and out of the blue a few days ago in the community tank I found one fry (I think a guppy fry) from the remaining female guppy (who didn't look pregnant, must have been her first time) he b95d77ff8e8e2c7dd845a51af6f6502f.jpg

He's on the bottom left. Quite small

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  16. Supreme Sawk

I'm guessing that the rest were eaten. Congrats anyway, take good care of it!

17. OP
    OP
    Nicola1980

Thankyou. Its doing well with 3 Molly fry friends in a set up on their own

18. Supreme Sawk

Provided it gets its fair share of food it should do fine. How big is the fry tank?

19. OP
    OP
    Nicola1980

He seems to eat quite well. It's 2.2g

20. Supreme Sawk

Really that's only going to last 4 fry for about 2 weeks. I'd suggest getting a 5 gallon for them, or you could just put them with the adults. They might go after them a little bit at first but they'll get used to them, I have tiny little 2 day old fry swimming about in my tank with the adults who don't bother them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice