Confused by a Goldfish

scraps7_11

Reaction score
I have three common goldfish ranging from about 6 inches to about 8 inches (give or take, just estimating size) in a 20 gallon tank with a whisper brand 55 gallon filter. I do 50% water changes once every 2 weeks. I add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons. I cleaned my fishtank out, boiling litereally everything before putting it back together (I had a snail breakout) about a week ago. The next day, the middle sized goldfish started getting lighter. about 3 or 4 days later it was completely white, and Im afraid I might have hurt it or something. Its not acting any different, and it still eats with great enthusiasm. Im hoping its nothing but Im really worried, because I have had these fish 2 years, going onto 3 and I have never seen this before. Any body know what it is or if its normal?

bettafish2816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
unfortunately those goldies are definitely too big for your 20 gallon, i think that the recommendation is 30 gallons for the first goldfish, and another ten for each subsequent one (someone correct me if i'm wrong on that)?

also, it says that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, and that you don't have any nitrates in your tank.
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/TheNitrogenCycle.htm

since your tank has been set up for so long, i'm sure it has cycled by now, but unfortunately the cycling process is very harmful to fish, the ammonia and nitrites that are present are toxic to them....i found this out the hard way

and i agree with shawnie, boiling everything probably killed your cycle, as a lot of the beneficial bacteria necessary is in the gravel/decorations/etc.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I see in your tank info that the only light they are getting is natural light/windows. How bright is the light? If goldfish do not have enough direct (not through windows) sunlight, their colors can fade. Also, it could be stress from the major water/tank clean out. Was that fish orange before? or black? Goldfish are born black and lose the black coloring as they grow/age. There is no set age when they lose their black coloring. Check for ammonia in the tank also. That could cause loss of color. Are they male, female? If you have two males and 1 female, it could be a sign of submission from one male towards the dominant male. If all else fails, you could always feed color food. Drs Foster and Smith has a decent color goldfish food pellet. And you could add a full spectrum light for 4-6 hours a day.

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
unfortunately those goldies are definitely too big for your 20 gallon, i think that the recommendation is 30 gallons for the first goldfish, and another ten for each subsequent one (someone correct me if i'm wrong on that)?
20 gal for the first goldie, then 10 gallons for each goldie after that.

Scraps, I hope your fish gets his color back soon!

bettafish2816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
20 gal for the first goldie, then 10 gallons for each goldie after that.

Scraps, I hope your fish gets his color back soon!
thanks for the correction, i knew it was 20 or 30, of course even when i have a 50-50 chance i pick the wrong one!

scraps7_11

Reaction score
For the nitrate, nitrite, and amonia levels, I dont know what they are, I never had a test kit. Ill remember to get one though. Also, I will see about getting a bigger tank. I got them from a friend and they came in a 10 gallon. I just happened to have the 20 from when I had a Blackmoore. The original color of the goldfish in question was gold to start. And I dont know if they are male or female, they all seem to get along pretty well. As for sunlight, they get pritty good light, they are set up in the sunroom used for my roommates plants. The only time they dont get really good light is on rainy days. Should I take a filter from my other tank and put it in this one to get the bacteria started again, or just leave it be? and thank you guys/gals so much for the help.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would say that the color loss may be due to an ammonia spike. That can happen. Once the tank has cycled and is more stable, the fish should get its color back. A larger tank would be good, but the larger filter is helpful.

If you can get a fair side view picture, I may be able to help you figure male and female. Just so you have an idea, the orange and white goldfish is a female and the all orange one is a male. Look at the tail and the fins. The female's fins are more rounded and somewhat shorter. The male's fins are longer and more pointy with a deeper V notch in the tail.

Attachments

scraps7_11

Reaction score
Now the white goldfish is swimming vertical. It isnt swelled up or anything, just vertical. When it starts swimming around, it goes back to horizontal, but if it sits still, its nose down. I put some fungus clear tablets in the tank, it mentions dropsy on the back of the box, anybody recomend any other medications to try if that doesnt work?

Beeker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore.
I started in a very similar way as you. I brought home 6 goldies in a small jelly jar because I didn't want my friend to flush them. I proceeded to learn through trial and error.
The goldfish start having trouble swimming when they don't have enough room. They do that, or they start jumping. Either way, they need a bigger tank. The color will fade if they aren't getting enough light.
Don't do too much with meds or salt until you know what your water tests as. Goldfish don't need salt.
You should definitely get a test kit.
This one is the best. It is what most of us here use.

I hope this helps a bit.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You want to consider a larger tank for them. Even if it is just a child's swimming pool for right now. Just something that is large enough for them to swim around in. PetsMart has small children's wading pools sometimes. Or you can get a large tupperware container like they sell to keep christmas stuff in. Just something big. It doesn't need to be super deep, 12 - 18 inches would be ok for an emergency. You will want to make sure that it can be covered with a screen or cloth so the fish won't jump out though. Put the filter in, but you don't need a heater. The temp should be between 68 and 72 degrees farenheit, but if it goes up or down a little, it is just fine. Goldfish like temperature fluctuations from day to night. Test your water (especially for ammonia).

scraps7_11

Reaction score
Im waiting till I get paid to get the test kit, but I have plenty of those buckets your talking about. Ill try that out. ****

scraps7_11

Reaction score
You want to consider a larger tank for them. Even if it is just a child's swimming pool for right now. Just something that is large enough for them to swim around in. PetsMart has small children's wading pools sometimes. Or you can get a large tupperware container like they sell to keep christmas stuff in. Just something big. It doesn't need to be super deep, 12 - 18 inches would be ok for an emergency. You will want to make sure that it can be covered with a screen or cloth so the fish won't jump out though. Put the filter in, but you don't need a heater. The temp should be between 68 and 72 degrees farenheit, but if it goes up or down a little, it is just fine. Goldfish like temperature fluctuations from day to night. Test your water (especially for ammonia).
So I Have two of them in their own buckets (my buckets werent big enough to put multiple fish in), and the one that is acting up is still in the tank so he/she (from the pics you showed me I think all mine are boys, need to get a cam to take pics to find out for sure.) can get as much light at possible. They each have their own filter, and bubbler, and I divided the tank water among the three so as not to mess with thier little systems again. Ill let you know what the nitrate/nitrite/amonia readings are and if there are any changes ASAP. Thanks again for the advise. I got my fingers crossed. Hope it works.

goatboy8848

Reaction score
hey mate have read in the past that lack of uv :;smanlight can affect colour and I have had some great black and orange ones that had wonderful markings that are now fully orange still that was when they were small about as big as my thumb now they are huge one is the size of a balled up fist! Maybe more! I have never seen one so fat!

matt

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom