Confused About Water Readings!

Eirelav_mcgoo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all, I’m slightly worried that my tank never actually cycled, or is starting to cycle now long story short; we started with 10 gallon, did not cycle, lost lots of fish, we found out the the survivors need more space so we upgraded. Purchased 55 gallon and set up tank on Jan 23. We got the tank set up and planted. Did not add anything to tank put a pinch of fish food. Discovered water in 10 was cycling so upon advice from everyone we did a fish in cycle in the 55 gallon. We realize we have done everything wrong. We have been trying to recover from the misinformation from the LFS. I’ve finally managed to get the master kit and did our first test.

Our stock:
3 pictus cats
8 rummynose tetra
2 glofish zebra danio

Water:
Temp: 78f
Ph: 7.8ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
No2: 0ppm
No3: 40ppm

We do weekly water changes of 20-30%. Last week we had a fungal issue; we treated entire tank and competed a 50% water change and a 25% water change forty eight hours later. All is well.

Can anyone explain if my tank is just now starting to cycle or what the reading could mean?
Thanks so much!

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would add one caveat to this, and that is to check the nitrate content of your tap water and compare it to the readings of your aquarium.

I had a big nitrate Spike and I could not figure out why until I tested my tap water and found out it was 20 PPM right out of the faucet!

Eirelav_mcgoo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would add one caveat to this, and that is to check the nitrate content of your tap water and compare it to the readings of your aquarium.

I had a big nitrate Spike and I could not figure out why until I tested my tap water and found out it was 20 PPM right out of the faucet!
Thanks for the tip! I didn’t even think of that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom