Confused About Lighting/wattage For Planted Tank? Help Please! Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by fish_ninja, Apr 24, 2018.

1. fish_ninjaValued MemberMember

Hi everyone - I am new to the hobby and my tank is in the process of being cycled. I was not planning initially on doing a planted tank, but some of the fishies I want do better in a planted tank and I've been told from others that it's not all that difficult.

-HOWEVER- I bought a Marineland LED Hood for my 20 gallon high, and it turns out the TOTAL wattage is 6!!! That definitely does not meet the requirements of the guideline posted on this forum, even for low-light plants. I know not everyone does a planted tank but I'm confused as to why they even make this product - I feel like I wasted my money :\

Could any of you recommend a lighting set up that is relatively easy to assemble, affordable, and that provides enough light for low- to medium-light plants? TIA!

2. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Well, usually the best lights for plants are ones that are specifically designed for plants, and as far as I know all of the hood LEDs are for viewing fish only. A nice medium light could be the finnex 24/7.

Also, watts per gallon isn't a very good guideline and is pretty useless for LEDs.

3. fish_ninjaValued MemberMember

Thanks - I had no idea.

4. fish_ninjaValued MemberMember

I guess a follow-up question then, as I'm looking at these different lights...how do I set them up over my tank? What would I use for a hood? Just how does all that fit together :arghh:

5. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

@Jocelyn Adelman might be able to help, as I haven't owned a hooded tank before

6. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

I wish I could... also no hoods here, either glass or open topped only :(
    Issue with hoods is the extra humidity corroding a non waterproof light... you could reach out to fluval and see if their fresh and plant could be run under a hood...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice