confused about ghost shrimp breeding

1. cheese Member Member

hi everyone :) lately I've been reading and posting on threads about breeding ghosties, and now I'm confused...lol
    I have read that the shrimplets need "green water" and live plants and come out hatched.
    do they hatch and then pop out right away? because I've only ever seen mama full of eggs, and empty. (with a bunch of little shrimp thingys floating around the tank lol)
    I had 1 small piece of hornwort in the tank, there's probably around 1 inch of it left now, not doing so good. that can't be enough live plants?
    also, when I bought my ghosties, I started with 5, but only 3 survived. one of the 2 that died, was berried. at the pet store, the guy said "ones got berries, but don't worry they won't hatch" so I've always wondered about that. did they add something to the tank there so that the eggs don't hatch? or are they even ghost shrimp? I've heard of fw prawns looking like ghost shrimp when they're smaller...could they be prawns, if they're able to breed so easily? something like this?
    or are my ghosties just doing their thing with what I've provided them with? my 1 inch of (partially) live plant and sponge over filter intake? thanks for any info or ideas :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Here's my understanding on it. I will say, however, I only have one female so I have not seen little ghosts.

The female gets berried and the eggs are green. Once fertilized, they become clear.

Unlike many other shrimp, when they are born, they aren't really formed into shrimp yet. This makes it harder for them to feed like adults and very likely to become food for other tank mates.

Could they be prawns or whisker shrimp, could be. A pic would help (of the adults, not the babies) or you could just have a set up they like.

3. cheese Member Member

I'll do my best to get a picture later, thanks! also, the eggs have never looked clear to me, they've always looked a light green when I first notice them, and I believe get darker as they progress. thanks again :)

4. Grimund Well Known Member Member

If I remember correctly, ghost shrimp are wild caught. The eggs only hatch in brackish water and the hatchlings molt continually until they are recognizable. As baby shrimp, they also need green water to feed on until they are large enough to eat larger bits.

^^what I've read. I can't cite the source as I don't remember it, sorry

5. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I don't think they actually need brackish water to survive. Perhaps some species do, but I don't think those are the ones commonly kept in aquariums at this point.

The green water would be an extra food source, since they can't really feed like the adults.

6. Skyy2112 Member Member

If I recall,
    Many baby shrimp eat microorganisms in the water. Since Ghosties are larvae state, they should have the filter turned OFF so they can feed.

I cannot confirm nor deny Brackish water.

Yes plants are big, they should have (imo) atleast a small plant per gallon, or a large plant per 2-3.

If your babies arent making it, have you tried any sort of food? Mosquito larvae (not even sure if they eat this, thought I read they did) or wafers? Etc etc.

7. cheese Member Member

hmm...well the thing is...my babies ARE surviving. I leave the filter on, I've only had 1 live plant which is basically gone now, no green water or brackish water...I just feed shrimp pellets, and a variety of fish flakes and I have about 30 baby ghosties from the last few months, all from 1 mother. I still haven't gotten a picture of them yet but I will when I do a water change today :)

8. Skyy2112 Member Member

Oh thats awesome!

9. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Ooh, if the plant is dying that is probably supplementing the green water bit. I think you said you had a pre-filter, so that is probably keeping them from getting sucked in in most cases.

10. Skyy2112 Member Member

Same as my filter Bithimala but I also added a sponge filter!

I'm glad to read this threat, I've wanted to try ghosties but a lot of my research has prolonged this want. Perhaps I will in the next few weeks. Thanks. =]

(Current RCS tank)

11. cheese Member Member

I can barely get a picture! lol...looks like the main difference in ghosts and whisker shrimp etc. would be claw size and such...little details that you probably can't see in these. but maybe there's another difference I can't see. is this really a mama ghost shrimp?

Attached Files:

12. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

13. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Okay I am going to tell you what mine look like and everything. So when you have berried shrimp they will be yellow or green. When they get very clear, then that means the mom is going to give birth/flick them off. When they get off the mom, then float to the surface and they are VERY hard to feed. They don't need greenish water. https://vimeo.com/170302668 this one survived until one of my fry ate it :( [​IMG]
    They can't eat food like other shrimplets when they are born. They need microorganisms to eat.