Confused about dosing with both Maracyn and Maracyn 2

1. Maxy24 Member Member

My fish have fin rot. I was hoping crystal clean water (since tank maintenance had been poor for a very long time, check out my previous thread https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ne-large-water-change-several-small-ones.html ) would fix the problem but after almost two months of diligent water changes and cleaning they are not getting better. The fin rot on my angel appear to be progressing with two small holes in his ventral fin becoming one larger one and growing some fuzz. So I think I need to either medicate or, as was suggested in the previous thread, empty the entire tank and start anew. Not sure which is a better bet.

If I decide to medicate I would like to use both Maracyn and Maracyn 2 because I've read that fin rot can be caused by a number of bacteria, some gram positive and some gram negative. The directions say you can use both medications together but does not give instructions on HOW to do that. I tried once several years ago on two bleeding heart tetras in a quarantine tank (also for fin rot). I used a full dose of both medications. I dosed before I went to bed and they were both dead by morning. It could have been stress from being moved to a quarantine tank I suppose, but I feel like it was the meds.

So how are you supposed to use them together? Do you do half and half? Like it says to use 2 packets per ten gallons on the first day....so would you use one packet of Maracyn and one packet of Maracyn 2? Or ARE you supposed to use the full dose of both, doing 2 packets of Maracyn and 2 packets of Maracyn 2? Or would I be better off doing the whole series of Maracyn and then when I'm done do a whole series of Maracyn 2?

I wish I could do it in a quarantine tank since it's a 55 gallon with only 9 fish in it and each box of meds costs $10-12. But the only spare tanks I have are 10 gallons and I don't think the Angels would appreciate being stuffed into such a small tank. Plus the tank wouldn't be cycled.

Or should I just hold off on the meds and try cleaning out the whole tank first? Or is there another med that's better? I just want to do SOMETHING, but don't want to waste money on meds that won't work, or kill my fish. So, help please!

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Maxy24

Follow the directions on each of the packages.

I forget which is which.
    One calls for for 2 packets for day one and one packet for each following day for however long the directions say.
    The other calls for for packet everyday.

So for the first day you'll be adding 3 packets (2 of one kind 1 of the other)
    Beginning day 2 you'll add 2 packets (1 of each kind) for the duration of the treatment.

Good luck!

3. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Maxy24, having clean pristine water will also do wonders for your fishes fin rot. Your fish cannot heal fully if the water quality is bad. Best of luck.

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Maxy24 - I have not used both before, but I do know that Maracyn 2 is shrimp safe and I would love to find some. I'm not sure why, but it is "sold out" on any website that still sells it, and has been out for quite some time. Do you know somewhere that still has some, as I would buy a ton of it if possible. It is very good for shrimp bacterial infections and many shrimp people are upset that you can't find it anymore. Please let me know where you still see any, if it's locally maybe we can work something out where you can mail it to me.