I've been cycling my tank for a bit now (since 12 July), and am confused by my readings this morning. I did a max water change last night (I can't say 100% because there was water in the gravel, but it was as much as I could get out) and noticed I have around 1 ppm ammonia in my tap water. The ammonia in the tap water is fine, because I was just going to put some in there anyway. I added fluval dechlorinator (will be switching to Prime as soon as this bottle is done) during the re-add of water. I tested the water after about 20 minutes, showed around .5 ppm for ammonia, so I added around 1 ppm extra to it to get it between 1-2 ppm. Tests read either .5 or .25 ppm for nitrite, and I can't remember exactly what the nitrate reading was. When I got up this morning, ammonia was 0 ppm, so that's good there, but nitrite was around 2 ppm and it looked like nitrate was around 20 ppm (I have a hard time telling the difference between 20 & 40 on nitrate and 2 & 5 on nitrate). I thought it was supposed to be a 1:1:1 ratio for conversions, so what is happening to the tank? I have all my test results written down at home, but they seem to be all over the place. I did let the nitrite and nitrate get really high at one point, which I didn't know could stall the cycle. I'm just confused by what I am seeing. I don't want to add more ammonia right now to allow the nitrite bacteria some time to catch up, but how long can I go without "feeding" the ammonia bacteria?