Conflicting information... Can you help me with goldfish sizes??

1. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

So i have been doing so research into fancy goldfish sizes!

I have never really thought about it much before and now im interested in how big my babies with get :)

I have a fantail and what i believe is a ryukin! Can anybody tell me how big they will get?!?

At the moment my fantail is around 3-4 inches including his fins

And the "ryukin" is 5 inches including her fins!

Thankyou!

2. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

It should remain under 8 inches if a common fantail. Other types can get up to 15! Now your ryukin(if it is one) will stay at around 7-9.

hope this helps!

3. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I'm no goldie expert, but my understanding is fancy goldfish generally grow to between 6 and 8 inches.

4. HappyKnitter

HappyKnitter Valued Member Member

A lot has to do with genetics. You are more able to know if you get the goldfishe's from a breeder. They would be the most reliable to tell you about their fish. But if you buy them from a pet shop it is hard to tell . They have estimate sizes in books but you never know.

5. OP
    OP
    lala29

Oh dear... More conflicting info! Thanks guys... Still not 100% sure

i see! Well my goldfish has weird genetics so i never know with her! Thankyou

6. HappyKnitter

HappyKnitter Valued Member Member

I pay attention to the health . I have my tiny redcap oranda in books it should be about 6 to 8 inches by now, but she is still 2-1/2 inch body and a 2 inch tail. She has only grown about an inch since I got her 2/2014. She is my little dynamo.

7. OP
    OP
    lala29

sounds adorable!... Now my Goldie and nipper have a 30 gallons to grow into :D i don't think she will grow much more as she is a bit ... But i love her! :)

8. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

lala, HappyKnitter is spot on basing size on genetics, also it depends on type and quality of care as fry and diet. Most pet store fancies in my experience grow 6 inches.

9. OP
    OP
    lala29

Thankyou! I like to think she's spoilt food wise... But the genetics aren't the best :/

Is that size including the fins?!?! :)

10. kittykat0725

kittykat0725 Valued Member Member

Well I havent had many different kinds of goldfish, but as far as the 15-25 cent ones they can get big. My oldest and first one is close to 7 years old and started out one inch and is now 7 inches. An inch a year for those guys. Oh and it is a myth that in smaller tanks and bowls goldfish stay small, it is only because they die before they get big do to no space for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. OP
    OP
    lala29

although these guys are from lfs, they were £8 each which is quite a bit when some shops theyre £1.30... Or given away!