Conflicted - Heater Quantity and Size for New 90 Gal

Diodehead

I will be picking up my new 90 Gallon in a couple of days. The rule of thumb on heaters appears to be 3-5 watts per gallon. That puts me at the 270 to 450 watt range. My plan is to use the Aqueon Pro Series.

I live in SE Michigan so climate varies, but my house it kept around 70 degrees F year round.

I've read conflicting information on one heater vs two, so here are my options as I see it:
(1) 300 watt
(2) 150 watt
(2) 200 watt

The cost up front isn't really a factor, so I'm looking for opinions on the best configuration.

sheilashoelady

Well Known
I would go with 2 200 watt heaters. That way, if one goes bad, you still have one in there. Also, in a bigger tank, it will be easier to distribute the heat properly with 2 heaters.

Claire Bear

Well Known
Hi, I am in a much warmer (relatively speaking) climate with a few cold bursts. I have one 300 watt in my
90g. It works fine but I do not face the type and length of cold you face. I also keep my home at about 72 year round so not sure if that makes a difference. I actually have two 90g tanks and they each have one heater.
I think it boils down to preference!

Rivieraneo

Diodehead said:
I will be picking up my new 90 Gallon in a couple of days. The rule of thumb on heaters appears to be 3-5 watts per gallon. That puts me at the 270 to 450 watt range. My plan is to use the Aqueon Pro Series.

I live in SE Michigan so climate varies, but my house it kept around 70 degrees F year round.

I've read conflicting information on one heater vs two, so here are my options as I see it:
(1) 300 watt
(2) 150 watt
(2) 200 watt

The cost up front isn't really a factor, so I'm looking for opinions on the best configuration.
What kind of fish will you be keeping ? if they are high temperature dependent, go with the fail safe of (2) 200 watt.

utkgreg

Well Known
My vote, based on the options given, would be "C."

I really feel that when you start getting in to these larger tanks, there is a strong benefit to having multiple heaters. If one goes out, you are still able to maintain at least some heat. Also, it makes it easier to maintain a consistent temp throughout the tank. If you have only one heater, you are much more likely to have a significant temp fluctuation from the heater to the most distant part of the tank.

I have recently set up a 90 gallon tank. I purchased a 300 watt and a 200 watt.

OP
D

Diodehead

Great responses. Thanks!

The fish kept will be freshwater comunity, and while I don't think they will be high temperature dependent, I like the idea of having two heaters spaced at ends of the tank.

I will go with the 200 watt as suggested in case on fails (and it will at some point) because, as I see it, I stand a slightly better chance at keeping the temp stable with a 200 over a 150. Thanks.

New Threads