Confirmation of internal parasites?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Metro is not a dewormer. It is an antibiotic and helps to treat Spironucleus (an anaerobic parasite), that's why Metro treats it. But it won't help with worms.

To treat worms, a dewormer is absolutely needed. Levamisole, flubendazole or Fenbendazole in the feed.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I don't use antibiotics like Kana or furan. I don't even use metro anymore, if I do, it's only fed to my fish. I haven't needed antibiotics either, I use alternative treatments like Mblue (as you mentioned).

It sucks not having a microscope to diagnose, guess that's why fish meds are banned here, but a shotgun QT preventative treatment was protocol in the past. None of these (with exception to Metro) to my knowledge presents immunity to them, so I feel they are safe to use prophylactically. Also why I would feed the metro only if needed.

You can dose General Cure if you want, just saying what worked for me, and you've already dosed Prazi with incomplete results. GC is prazi and Metro.

When one med is not working, best to move on to another.

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Metro is not a dewormer. It is an antibiotic and helps to treat Spironucleus (an anaerobic parasite), that's why Metro treats it. But it won't help with worms.

To treat worms, a dewormer is absolutely needed. Levamisole, flubendazole or Fenbendazole in the feed.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I don't use antibiotics like Kana or furan. I don't even use metro anymore, if I do, it's only fed to my fish. I haven't needed antibiotics either, I use alternative treatments like Mblue (as you mentioned).
Yes. I didn't claim metro was a dewormer. Metronidazole is effective against anaerobes and flagellated parasites (commonly plistophora, or NTD). As for a proper dewormer i personally use praziquantel and mebendazole or albendazole (in my case al/mebendazole is easier to obtain). I haven't used proper antibiotics in a while as well, today mostly relying on dosing ascorbate to let the fish 'fight their own problems'. But i do use them prophylactically in quarantine..

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good idea. I was trying to figure out what we all were suggesting and why. I guess I got the Metro wrong! Well, unless it's Hexamita, I don't think the metro is needed. The mebendazole or albendazole are actual dewormers like Levamisole, flu and fen. I just see the latter more available for aquarium use.

So to recap:
Prazipro (which was already dosed)
A dewormer (like Levamisole, flu or fen-bendazole, mebenzadole or albendazole
Metro aganist Hexamita (Spironucleus)

Vitamin C and or Methylene blue for bacterial infections should they arise.

I'll add vitamins like Boyd vitamins in the water to provide some nutrition for the ram who is not eating and strengthen the immune of the other fish who may be resisting and fighting the parasite.

Sound right for a plan? Did I miss anything?

eirynne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good idea. I was trying to figure out what we all were suggesting and why. I guess I got the Metro wrong! Well, unless it's Hexamita, I don't think the metro is needed. The mebendazole or albendazole are actual dewormers like Levamisole, flu and fen. I just see the latter more available for aquarium use.

So to recap:
Prazipro (which was already dosed)
A dewormer (like Levamisole, flu or fen-bendazole, mebenzadole or albendazole
Metro aganist Hexamita (Spironucleus)

Vitamin C and or Methylene blue for bacterial infections should they arise.

I'll add vitamins like Boyd vitamins in the water to provide some nutrition for the ram who is not eating and strengthen the immune of the other fish who may be resisting and fighting the parasite.

Sound right for a plan? Did I miss anything?
Yes thank you - I really appreciate it! I hope she holds on long enough for me to pick this stuff up.

Also I solved the mystery of the "worm" in her poop... It was an undigested mysis shrimp. :dead:

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes thank you - I really appreciate it! I hope she holds on long enough for me to pick this stuff up.

Also I solved the mystery of the "worm" in her poop... It was an undigested mysis shrimp. :dead:
If she doesn't hold on, and there is a parasitic infestation, you'll want to still treat the other fish. Sorry about any confusion and i'm hoping for her and the rest! My fish lasted 2 years before I noticed with callamanus, so it could all go ok :)

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Wishing for a speedy and complete recovery of your finned friends! And you finally got the answer for your thread question, ha!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom