Confirm My Stocking, Please!

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought a stand/bowfront 36 gallon today for $99:

Decided to empty the 40 gallon and give it to my cornsnake (he is outgrowing his 20 gallon long.)

I wanted to confirm if this stocking would be appropriate:

6 (2 male 4 female, or all female) lyretail swordtails
6 (male) platies
10 Guppies (All Male)
6-8x cory cats (aeneus or Sterbai)

Temp at 75 degrees?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'd say you have too many livebearers, and the numbers are high.
Maybe you could only do two livebearing fish, such as the platies, and swordtails.

How about

2 Swordtails
4 Platies
8 Aeneus or Sterbai

Laxin10

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Everything looks good to me. Only thing I'm not sure about is the swordtails and the guppies together. Could be just my personal experience but sword tails get rather big and can become a little nippy in smaller tanks.

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was going for a most live bearer tank. Is there something wrong with all live bearers? Willing to get all female swordtails/platys. Don't want too much fry, or any at all.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fearyn said:
I was going for a most live bearer tank. Is there something wrong with all live bearers? Willing to get all female swordtails/platys. Don't want too much fry, or any at all.
Yes, there's way to many, and as stated above, swords get nippy when in larger numbers or have more fish around them in their space.
I'd stick with something smaller, no more than two livebearing fish.

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
6 (male) platies
10 Guppies (All Male)

Could I do this?

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fearyn said:
All live-bearers is OK but be ready to change some water. They get messy when adult sized. 10 male guppies is asking for aggression issues. My male sword is intolerant of a second male sword in my 60G. That is fairly common with swords. Sounds like a nice tank though. That was a great price you got today.

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really want fancy guppies, but dont want fry. lol

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fearyn said:
I really want fancy guppies, but dont want fry. lol
You can try it but 10 is just too many. You could get lucky of course but I would do that gradually if you are going to try it.

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How many guppies would you recommend for the tank size?

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fearyn said:
How many guppies would you recommend for the tank size?
I won't even tell you how many are in my growout tanks. The maintenance isn't much fun. I have several hundred guppies. Start with a modest initial stocking and see how fast the nitrates build. You are the one that has to change the water. Easier to add a few than rehome a few IMO.

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
6 (male) platies
6 Guppies (All Male)

Is this appropriate, or still too much fish? Just wany a colorful tank but like fish fitted better for harder water.

Also would I be able to substitue the corys with khuli loaches if I decided to go that route?

Dila415

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have the same tank I have 8 guppies 2 male 6 females 2 platy big sword tail male and a smaller female they don't bother the guppies at all

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fearyn said:
6 (male) platies
6 Guppies (All Male)

Is this appropriate, or still too much fish? Just wany a colorful tank but like fish fitted better for harder water.
Looks pretty good to me, and I think Kuhlis would be fine. My only objection is the fraternities but you'll work through that if it happens.

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OR perhaps this?

3 platys
3-4 guppies
6-7 cherry barbs
6 kuhli loaches/corys?

Would this still be too overstocked?

Sorry im so indecisive. Just trying to figure out a stocking without causing males fighting or producing tons of fry. Lol

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never kept cherry barbs and I try not to dispense stocking advice without personal experience. I'm sure you'll get input soon. But I do think less male live-bearers improves your odds of less trouble.

Maybe you start your stocking with a school of kuhlis, and a couple male guppies and a couple male platies. You can see how it goes and have ten fish to look at. Unless the kuhlis have hiding places. If you put 10 male live-bearers in the tank at once then you are potentially trying to figure out which jerk is ripping fins when you aren't looking.

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fearyn said:
OR perhaps this?

3 platys
3-4 guppies
6-7 cherry barbs
6 kuhli loaches/corys?

Would this still be too overstocked?
Would love feedback if anyone has kept cherries, then

Fearyn said:
Would love feedback if anyone has kept cherries, then

HobbyJohnny

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
***IF YOURE CURIOUS ABOUT STOCKING***
Have you tried aqadvisor.com ?? For the most part, I think it is an incredible website that discusses the stocking of your tank and the fish within it. I have found it to be mostly accurate and you can use juvenile and adult sizing as well. It also explains how some fish will live together as tank mates, if your filtration is good enough (of course like many of us you may choose to build your own HOB fluval or canister so this is somewhat irrelevant) and how much water to change weekly. It is GREAT for getting your blueprints laid out when starting a new tank build!

I just ran your "3 platys, 3 guppies, 6 barbs, and 6 kuhli loaches" in the website. Assuming you get something like an AquaClear 50 (phenomenal filters and if you do some research, you will LOVE these filters as they provide superb biomechanical filtration for a HOB and cost a fraction of a canister)
I am using your 36 gallon bowfront and assuming you have that filter.

Your filtration is 122% adequate
You'll need 22% water changes weekly
Your aquarium will be 87% stocked.
Temp Range - 75.2-77 F
pH Range - 6-7.8
Hardness: 5-15 DH

Also, I have 6 cherry barbs in my community setup and they have been troopers! They peck at food, they don't eat too much, they are VERY active in my case, they school some together, and they like to say hello occasionally! They are very hardy too and were able to deal with some awkward nitrogen cycles I came across.

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I actually have an aqueon quiet flow 75. I stuffed some filter floss in it to reduce the current, and I have hard water, pretty high ph. Will the loaches and barbs acclimate fine to those water conditions, or do i need to choose a different fish?

HobbyJohnny

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fearyn said:
I actually have an aqueon quiet flow 75. I stuffed some filter floss in it to reduce the current, and I have hard water, pretty high ph. Will the loaches and barbs acclimate fine to those water conditions, or do i need to choose a different fish?
Honestly, someone should write a book about handling all types of water and they would make millions. The best way to figure out what you'll need to do is get the tank to fishless cycle and then try to see what needs improvement. It isn't so much as having a high or low pH, but having a steady one. If you plan on using any type of regulators to adjust your pH, then do this without fish. Lowering and spiking pH's are very stressful to fish.

In order to get your pH to buffer, you'll first need to test your kH (carbonate hardness) of the water. Once you get the tank nice and setup (I dont know if you have or not) then it will be a great time to begin testing. API's Master Test Kit and their KH and GH tester work very well with my experience.

Back to the kH. Your kH will need to be at least 3 for your water to maintain steady pH's. If you test your water and it has an 8.0 pH, then I would suggest using something like Seachem Regulator. This product is good, but if you prefer to adjust your pH the natural way, I am sure there are plenty of substrates or media you could use to do so. It's hard to guess how the tank will react when it hasn't been setup, but I would definitely recommend doing this ASAP as the sooner the tank gets cycled, you can perform all of these tests to make sure you have a nice comfy home for those fish!

Fearyn said:
As far as their acclimation goes, I wouldn't worry THAT much about it. Unfortunately, these fish grow up in tough breeding conditions, but they are hardened to acclimate fairly well. Again, don't worry too much about maintaining a perfect pH as long as your pH is steady, it won't be a big deal. When you get into more difficult fishkeeping (discus are NOTORIOUS for this) then you will have to come up with something to keep your pH in their liking. My water has tested as low as 6, and as high as 7.4. The barbs didn't care too much for it being low, but became very active when it was closer to neutral. As long as your water isn't hydrochloric acid, everything should be fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom