Confirm My Stocking Plans 55 Gallon Tank

1. Saobie

Saobie Valued Member Member

Its actually a 54g corner tank

Anywhoo i got it because i have an overstock of fish in my 20g. We had always planned to get a bigger tank (at first it was going to be a 36g but i got the upgrade upgrade). just want to confirm that this stock will work in my new 54g. I am not willing to part with any of my current fish, so if there happens to be a compatibility issue, ill remove the new addition that causes it

What i have:
    1 male gold wonder killi
    2 koi angels (both male)
    1 female bristlenose pleco
    1 male gold inca snail
    1 white skirt tetra
    1 black skirt tetra

What i planned to add:
    1-2 female angelfish. Will do only 1 if there wont be issues
    1 male bristlenose pleco (probably albino)
    1 giant african fan shrimp (this is the #1 i want in the tank)
    1 freshwater asian gold clam
    --Iv been told all these skirts will school together--
    2 white skirt tetras
    2 black skirt tetras
    1 pink glowlight tetra
    --Iv been told all Aeneus corys school together--
    2 bronze corys
    2 albino corys
    2 yellow laser corys
    2 green laser corys

2. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

It is impossible to tell if an Inca snail is male or female without you wanting one lay eggs. Other than that, I would bump up the Cory cat numbers to four or five of each species. And may be put some neocardina shrimp is with hiding spaces only they can fit in. Love my vampire shrimp, it is always fun to see it come out during the day do to it being nocturnal and hiding at day time

3. OP
    OP
    Saobie

Each cory species is only at 2 because i was told all Aeneus will school together. Yellow laser, green laser, albino, and bronze are all Aeneus cories

I know the snail is male because i used to have a female with him who would play eggs sometimes. She died of old age though :/ Hes probably pretty old himself

Vampire shrimp just look so awesome :3 i LOVE inverts and if i could keep a bunch of shrimp i would but unless they get at least 2 inches theyre probably going to be a snack for my killi, as hes eaten shrimp i stocked before

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, yes those corys are all in the aenus family but each is a separate species apart from the albino & bronze. Keeping each in such small numbers runs the risk of cross breeding which is frowned upon & imo is not good for the species in general.
    To get the best from them I’d suggest choosing which you like the best, upping the number of those & rehoming the rest, you’ll see much more natural behaviour when kept in larger numbers of their own kind

5. OP
    OP
    Saobie

l dont own any corys yet. Ill be going with yellow laser then since solid gold fish are super awesome

Iv also been made aware ill be using a sponge filter. Will i also need to put on a filter that can produce water flow for the shrimp or will it not matter much in a tank of this size?

6. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

If you want the fan shrimp, they need areas of high flow so they can feed. A HOB or even a powerhead might be beneficial.

Idk if it's true or not, but I've heard that the fan shrimp like to be kept in groups. Someone confirm this or you can do a little research to find out o_O

7. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You don't need another BN Pleco. One is enough for the tank. Another one you will run into a high rate of ammonia problems as they are the diesel trucks of the aquarium world.

8. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Agreed. Mine is a little poop machine

9. OP
    OP
    Saobie

Lol, my pleco is probably the #1 reason why my tank looks so dirty the day before water changes. Alright, 2nd pleco crossed off

I doubt i can really afford to get more than 2 viper shrimp. Would bamboo shrimp work instead? Like 1 viper shrimp and 3ish bamboo shrimp

Oh i should mention btw my tank is up against the wall. Cant really hang anything off the side because its a corner tank, so the front is not straight and the only straight sides are on the back. I guess i COULD empty it yet again and move it a bit but i doubt id get away with that (still live with mom, wouldnt be happy about change of plans)

EDIT: My sister is worried that a pump for water flow might make it too rough for my other fish. Would this be true? Is there specifics i should follow?

10. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

I
    only have one and he is perfectly happy but yeah, you could also get a bamboo

11. OP
    OP
    Saobie

Alright, so 1 fan shrimp. I also got confirmation from a local persom i know that my 2 male angels will (probably) be fine). Now, the pump. I need something to create a current ofc, but will it bother my other fish?